2014 rMBP two external Monitors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ainippe, May 29, 2015.

1. Ainippe macrumors newbie

I own a 2014 rMBP with 2.5hz, 16gb RAM and dedicated video card.

I have trawled through the forums but after 30 minutes just get brain faze!

Can I run two external normal 24" monitors from my laptop and if so what cabling/connectors do I need? I have 1 x HDMI and 2 x Thunderbolt ports

Any help would be great

Thanks

Nick

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep, 2 external monitors no problem, connect them however you like.

3. varsis macrumors regular

Yep I run two on the Thunderbolt/display port. I run one 27 and a 24" I have also ran 3. Mid 2012 retina.

4. Honza1 macrumors member

I have 15inch MBP early 2013 and connect two Apple monitors. Works quite well. I use Thunderbolt hub to which I connect LED Cinema Display and Cinema HD on second Thunderbolt (or HDMI) using convertor to DVI.
    Except, when I connect the Cinema HD as second (after connecting the hub+LED Cinema Display) the MBP reboots. And then works just fine.

If I connect the Cinema HD first (tried only through Thunderbolt > DVI convertor) all is OK.

Reported this as bug to Apple, I wonder if they will fix it. It is annoying.

5. Ainippe thread starter macrumors newbie

So one from the thunderbolt or both?

6. varsis macrumors regular

Both on Thunderbolt as I have a displayport monitor and dvi. Works well, you can get the adapters for pretty cheap but be aware they only support to a certain resolutions. I have one that required mini display to displayport instead of mini display to dvi.

7. Ainippe thread starter macrumors newbie

I have one which is VGA and one that is DVI. I guess having two thunderbolt ports, so I dont lose both I should also use the HDMI port for one?

8. mcarling macrumors 65816

I use a mid-2015 2.8GHz rMBP without the discrete GPU to drive two Dell P2415Q 4K monitors, one from each Thunderbolt port. It works flawlessly.