2014 = The return of the Revolutionary Apple?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mistafro, Oct 22, 2013.

1. mistafro macrumors regular

I get the feeling that the Apple labs are going to be bearing some revolutionary fruit that has been growing over the last several years...

I am sure we will be wowed in 2014, Apple has some special stuff up its sleeve coming...

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Just got that lovin' feeling? No specific reason why, no predicitons as to what these revolutionary products are going to be?

3. mistafro thread starter macrumors regular

Well obviously with the iWatch, iTV talk and it being around the 4 year mark since the last big unveiling... You think Apple's been just pedalling along with incremental updates? 2014 will be a HUGE year for Apple!

4. Volkstaia macrumors regular

Volkstaia

Nope. All apple has been since Jobs died is just rehashes with some neat other stuff. But I'm glad they got rid of Forstall. Skumorphism is bad and I'm glad they removed the thread background from Mavericks.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Even under Jobs Apple never released revolutionary products every year. They released one every few years. So they are due for a revolutionary product now, but I will only start getting worried if we don't see anything by the end of 2014.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What could Apple do with a TV that would be revolutionary, they missed that boat. Unless the iWatch is a teleporter I don't know how it will change the world.

7. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

8. mistafro thread starter macrumors regular

Are you forgetting what people said when rumours started about the iPhone? I remember so many quotes saying basically "what could Apple do, how can they beat Motorola?"

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The revolution will be in how you obtain your content, not the TV hardware.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't that what AppleTV is supposed to do now.

People expecting a stand alone TV from Apple will be disappointed as I don't see them getting into that market this late in the game.

11. mistafro thread starter macrumors regular

This late in the game? Late because they are doing things right and waiting till all the pieces fall into place... They will do for the TV industry what they did for music. Either with Apple TV or an actual TV.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Who will pay Apple prices for a TV. Not when you can get a decent smart set now for $1600

Netflix is already starting to eat Apples lunch in this area.

13. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Maybe Apple will release a console that rivals xbox?

14. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Exactly. The thing with Apple over the last several years is that they have been able to create products that most people never really thought of or never thought of in the way that Apple spun them. What is Apple going to do to revolutionize television? Who knows? None of us here has much of a clue...but I bet people over at Apple have several ideas. That's why the people there make tons of money and we're here to speculate things on a message board. :)

A 60" 4k television with an Apple'esqu brushed aluminim finish and unibody enclosure, built in "set top box" function (current Apple TV on steroids), every channel has its own app where you can pay for which channels you want, hard drive space for games/apps/media, can be controlled from your iPhone/iPod touch/"Apple wrist device", built in Siri and FaceTime.

Sounds a bit impossible, especially the "piece meal" channel subscription idea...but iTunes was also thought of as being inconceivable at one point in time. Some beautifully crafted version of this hodge podge that I described would be a great starting point. :)