2014 TurboTax and Yosemite

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by speedplay1, Dec 2, 2014.

1. speedplay1 macrumors newbie

Intuit's 2014 TurboTax software does not work with OS X Yosemite. After calling Intuit's so-called Tech Support, the agent tried to claim that the latest drivers and most recent updates of Apple's OS will work with TurboTax. When I explained that the TurboTax disk is not recognized and that others on various blogs have complained downloads directly from Intuit's website do not work, he stated that he was not an IT person but rather a tax advisor. I asked when drivers would be available and whether Intuit would post "Yosemite compliant" on its download site, he claimed he didn't know because the software is supposed to work! Bottom line: Once again Intuit is behind the eight ball keeping up with Apple's obsession with endless updates, which are killing 3rd party software, and Apple's timing of its ridiculous OS updates and upgrades is poorly timed [a Tim Cook fiasco]. Perhaps another tax software company will have appropriate drivers out for those of us who are able to file our taxes before the end of December.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try to re-down it?

Maybe your download was corrupted.

3. speedplay1 thread starter macrumors newbie

I received TurboTax on a disk via mail. My MacAir spits it out of the external CD. No go! My wife downloaded it from Intuit's website, but it wouldn't open. Again: No go! She called to get a refund. Two of my close friends couldn't get their downloads to work. It just doesn't work! I'm curious: Have you downloaded it? If so, when and did it work?

4. chabig macrumors 68040

I got mine via direct download from Intuit's website, and it works perfectly. Drivers are a hardware issue, not a software issue. Turbotax doesn't need drivers. I would guess the problem is with your computer. Let's explore possible issues there, as spitting out DVDs isn't normal. Does your wife realize that the download is a disk image and that the app needs to run from the hard drive? Is she trying to run it from the disk image? What exactly do you mean when you say it "wouldn't open"? Can you post screenshots?

5. speedplay1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Chabig, sorry buy you are wrong about drivers and software. There are many software programs that will not run because the driver codes do not interface. I've been a Mac user since the mid-80s and this has always been a problem when new OSs are created and developers do not write the appropriate codes. As for my external CD spitting out a CD that it doesn't recognize: Again, you are incorrect. If my OS doesn't recognize the code on a CD it will not only fail to display a disk image, but it will reject the CD. I download and install software for my wife, so I know what a .dmg file (disk image) and a hard drive. Again, I've used Macs since the mid-1980s. By the way, I deleted the disk image after my wife received a refund. The disk image created an error message stating that the program code not be recognized: Again, because the code was incompatible. Several of my friends have had the same issue with Yosemite: We are all running 10.10.1 on our MacAirs. If you were able to get your computer to run TurboTax, then you are fortunate. However, if you check other blogs, you'll find that my friends and I are not the only ones experiencing the problem I've detailed. Incidentally, are you running Yosemite?

6. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes. I'm running Yosemite, and Turbotax runs perfectly. I'm sorry you're having problems. If your machine spits out the optical disc, the most likely cause is that the disc is physically bad, so you should probably get that replaced. Let's forget about that for now, though. Regarding the disk image, I would like to see a screen shot of the message saying that the "program code could not be recognized". I have never seen such an error.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. speedplay1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Chabig, sorry but as i stated I deleted the disk image so a screen image of the error message is not possible. Incidentally, your MacAir specs are identical to my wife's. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'll keep working on a solution: Perhaps a call to Apple Tech Support will help. By the way, I did not intend my comments to seem harsh, as I really do appreciate your feedback. May write back again if I find a solution! Sincerely, EW

8. chabig macrumors 68040

I do hope you can find the answer, and I will help if I can. I doubt that Apple tech support can help if you no longer have the installer, since you won't be able to test anything they might suggest. You mentioned that your wife got a refund. Are you still trying to install from your CD/DVD? I would suggest you ask Intuit for a replacement while you work with Apple. At least you know with certainty that Turbotax does run. We don't know why neither you nor your wife were able to install it.

9. DAK60 macrumors newbie

DAK60

Downloaded it from Amazon last night and had no issues installing it on my 2010 Macbook Pro running Yosemite.

10. MinkyMomo macrumors member

Works without issues for me too--direct download from Amazon, running 10.10.1 on a 2012 Mac Mini.

11. speedplay1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved. Apparently, some folks - like myself - who tried to download TurboTax when it first came out were unable to do so. Intuit recently updated the installer from its website in order to accommodate Yosemite users. I just downloaded TurboTax 2014 and it worked. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I'm happy to be up and running TurboTax. This 70 year old is a happy camper when software works!

12. porthole2 macrumors member

Will it import last years file that you did on a PC?

13. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

I downloaded it yesterday without any problems. Started doing my end of the year taxes and it is working fine.

14. porthole2 macrumors member

Anymore updates on using the Mac version of TTax for 2014?

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like others here, I downloaded it from Amazon and it is working fine for me under Yosemite.

16. P51 Mustang macrumors newbie

2014 TurboTax and Yosemite

Recently purchased TurboTax 2014 Deluxe with CD. Tried to load CD on my IMAC and the drive spit out the CD. Thought this was a bad CD and obtained a new one. Same thing happened on second CD. CD came back with Disk not supported. I called TurboTax and they sent me a download for the version I had bought locally. The download loaded and opened fine. I suspect that there is a problem with the early CD's that come packaged. I also had a CD from TurboTax 2013 Deluxe. I loaded this in my drive and it worked fine. I wanted to do this test to confirm the operation of the CD drive. No problems could I find. Wanted to share this experience so others may avoid the frustration.

17. HMAletter macrumors newbie

I just bought this old download. I have a 2103 iMac, 3.4 GHz i7, currently running OSX 10.9.5.

The Only way I can run Turbotax 2014 on this machine, is to "View Contents", and it runs the TurboTax in terminal mode. Never had anything like this happen before. It does work normal, imports returns, updates, etc...

No response from Intuit yet after multiple attempts.

18. chabig macrumors 68040

View contents? Terminal mode? Are you are trying to run the application from the disk image? The app should be delivered as a .dmg. Double click that to mount a disk image, copy the Turbitax application to your hard drive, drag the disk image to the trash to eject it, drag the .dmg to the trash, and empty the trash.