2014 which is the best lightweight Remote Desktop setup???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PicnicTutorials, Jan 1, 2014.

1. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Hello happy New Years!

2014 which is the best lightweight Remote Desktop setup??? Instead of a MacBook Pro I got a iMac which will be here in a few days. So I will use my Ipad and a Remote Desktop app to go portable. I would like to find the best app. But with 20 or so viable options this would take awhile. Is there someone out there that has played with the best of them and could possibly share which solution they chose and why?

- needs to be lightweight on my iMac since I assume it will run 24/7
    - inexpensive
    - smooth ipad app

From obsessively looking around myself splashtop 2 looks like the best so far. Any others I should look at and why? Please don't just plug.

2. NativeTxn macrumors regular

I use Jump Desktop (http://jumpdesktop.com) and really like it a lot. It is fast - at least for me (much faster than when I used to have to use the built in RDC on my old PC).

Not sure what you consider "lightweight" or if you would personally consider $29.99 inexpensive or not though.

3. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Most products use VNC to remote and I've never been able to get good performance from VNC. So I run iRAPP by Code Rebel on my iMac. It is a small RDP server. I then connect via iTeleport which I have on my MBP, iPad, and iPhone. Works very well, but it also quite expensive.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I like the products by Remoter VNC. SSH, etc.

Kind of odd Apple doesn't make somethiing; I used Citrix and it rocked; was easier to use a PC on my iPad than a Mac. Go figure.

5. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Interesting.
    How is the speed?

They have a free version client and TS Server for Lion.
    I think someone in the forums wanted a way to use their oMP to have multiple people login at the same time.

6. X-Ravin macrumors regular

I've been very happy with it. You don't get the continual hangs and hiccups that seem to plague VNC apps. All in all I feel it was worth the money. I'm a very remote heavy user though, so like I said it might not be for everyone but you can run a free trial and see. I don't have the multiple login version since that isn't something I use anymore. But I did used to do that on a Windows box which worked very well.

7. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Are you planning on connecting from outside your house as well?

8. PicnicTutorials thread starter macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

Ya. From looking around and reading it looks like I'll give splashtop a try. Jump desktop. Logmein. Maybe a couple others. I was just hoping someone would post that already obsessively tried all the top ones and could just tell me which one is the best and fastest. Save me from obsessive work.

9. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I would try LogMeIn first. It's free and you're can use apps or any web browser so you're not locked down to a specific set of devices. I use Jump Desktop as well but only for connecting to PC's for work.

10. DeafRaiders macrumors regular

Logmein free stopping on 21st Jan :(. Can't afford to pay for Pro. What are the alternatives?