2015 13" MacBook Air or 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aftashock617, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Aftashock617 macrumors newbie

I am having a difficult time deciding between the Air and the Pro model due to the fact that Best Buy has the Air on sale until Monday at 799 plus an additional $50 off coupon. The Pro is at $1,235 plus $50 off.

The dilemma is with the current prices the Air seems like a good deal. Is the upgraded screen, ram and processor worth $435 more in price.

My uses are basic for the most part; web browsing, listening to music, watching movies on the go, excel, and word.

What is your advice?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

When I see someone ask "Air or Pro" my reflex is to say Pro.

HOWEVER: Given the price difference, and your needs, the Air is the way to go. Try to pick up a USPS Mover's coupon for 10% off - it'll stack with the $50 student (I'm assuming) coupon. If needed, you can do a change of address on the USPS website for $1.05 and get one that way - it'll save you another $75 or so.

3. Aftashock617 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! That is good info. I have never done a change in address. Is it easy? How long will it take the coupon to arrive?

Also, which device will be usable longer? And if you could predict based on product line history, by how much longer? My guess would be the Pro would be a device that 5 years from now will still run ok.

4. macrominnie macrumors member

I agree with this view. If you have not seen the 13" rMBP screen, it would be good to look at it, say, on display in a store. For the needs described, the main difference is screen resolution, though the MBA screen is pleasant for many people.

Also, even part of the extra $400 would buy a decent external display for home, which would be better but non-portable viewing than the rMBP screen.

The rMBP processor may remain adequate a bit longer than the MBA, but the $400 savings would go a long way toward upgrading if needed in a few years. Apart from SSD's, neither notebook is easily upgradeable going forward.

5. nws0291, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

nws0291 macrumors 6502

I would say not to do this if you are leaning towards the air. You will just make it harder to choose. Seeing them side by side shows how bad the screen is on the air compared to the rMBP.