2015 13" MacBook Air work for this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ash211, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ash211 macrumors newbie

While at my desk I want to hook up my laptop to 2 displays (1080p, not 4k), back up hd, wired keyboard, and printer. Will a 2015 13" MacBook Air be able to do this without any lag on the displays? I'll just be using the laptop to write reports and check emails...nothing strenuous.

I went into the Apple Store and an Apple Salesman (not a Genuis) told me it probably wouldn't work. He recommended a rMPB. He said it would take a powerful cpu to push 2 displays. Was he right or just trying to get me to buy the more expensive item?

The majority of the time I'll be using the laptop at my desk. A couple of times a month I'll be out and about all day long long and want long battery life. I don't think I'll need a retina screen (my home laptop is a non retina mbp and looks fine to me) and I want a 512gb hd. The rMBP with one is $1800 and I don't want to spend that much.

2. motrek macrumors 68020

The problem has to do with connectors, not CPU power. The rMBP has two Thunderbolt connectors which I think you should be able to connect to two monitors no problem. With the MBA, there's only one Thunderbolt connector, so you will either have to daisy chain two actual Thunderbolt displays (and if your displays are 1080p I doubt they're Thunderbolt) or you will have to get a USB video adapter, which will be slow.

3. ash211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, forgot to mention I was planning on also using an OWC Thunderbolt 2 hub as well to connect everything.

4. ash211 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. xylitol, Apr 6, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  6. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

Apple has a no ask 14 day return policy just buy one test it out if it doesn't work trade it in for a rMbp

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Why not get

A refurbished rMBP, it'll be as new, have the same warranty and cost less than the 512 gb Macbook air. You'll have all the connectivity you need all the portability and that screen is always worth the effort, really it is stunning and makes all the difference with almost any interaction with the computer. The bigger profile better cooling and bigger processors will give you better long term performance and less chance of throttling in clamshell mode, and the GPU will run those screens with ease.

2013 retina refurb $1359

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-pro-26ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

or the 2014 version at about $1500 when it is available.

compared to new air 8gb RAM 512gb SSD

$1600

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-air?product=MJVG2LL/A&step=config

seems like a no brainer to me...