2015 13" MacBook Pro vs 2018 13" MacBook Pro?

rmh1072

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Greetings,

I was hoping to get some expert opinions on a question I've run into. I currently have a early-2015, 13" MacBook Pro with Retina. 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16gb of memory. It's coming off a three year lease, in which I haven't had any issues, so I'm now looking at a brand new 13" MacBook Pro without the touchpad with 16gb of memory to replace it. I can buy it out for $600 or lease the new one for $1900. I've heard lots of issues with the keyboard of the new one, so I'm worried? Keep it or replace it? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Robert

CodeJoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2018
Greetings,

I was hoping to get some expert opinions on a question I've run into. I currently have a early-2015, 13" MacBook Pro with Retina. 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 16gb of memory. It's coming off a three year lease, in which I haven't had any issues, so I'm now looking at a brand new 13" MacBook Pro without the touchpad with 16gb of memory to replace it. I can buy it out for $600 or lease the new one for $1900. I've heard lots of issues with the keyboard of the new one, so I'm worried? Keep it or replace it? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Robert
Is refurbished an option? Or alternatively the TB model? The nTB model is pretty poor value currently as it didn't get updated, but you might find a decent option in the refurbished store. Otherwise the base i5 TB + 16G RAM is a pretty decent option.

You don't have to worry about the keyboard with the new ones. The keyboard is fine.

If your only option is the nTB model brand new, then I would probably suggest keeping your old one. You end up paying quite a bit, and there's not much difference in performance.

rmh1072

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the responses. I am basically stuck with either keeping the old one or the new nTB model, as the TB model would add an additional $300, and my supervisor is not keen on spending that much extra.

My inclination was to keep the old one, but our managed services provider is pretty adamant that I upgrade, as "newer is better." Normally I agree, but in this case, I find myself asking, "Is it?"

SmackBookPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2018
The new model is a big upgrade from the 2015. Much better keyboard, sexier design, EXTREMELY bright screen with mouthwatering colours, great speakers, faster SSDs, newer processors. I say go for it!

CodeJoy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2018
Thanks for the responses. I am basically stuck with either keeping the old one or the new nTB model, as the TB model would add an additional $300, and my supervisor is not keen on spending that much extra.

My inclination was to keep the old one, but our managed services provider is pretty adamant that I upgrade, as "newer is better." Normally I agree, but in this case, I find myself asking, "Is it?"
Is upgrading the supervisor an option?

You're clearly stuck with two variants of poor advice here. At the end of the day, whether you keep your old one or get a new one, it's just money and tech. There will be new money, and there will be new tech. If you annoy the humans around you they can cause a lot more trouble than any tech can. If the other choices are unavailable for human reasons, the nTB will serve you fine and you only waste a few hundred $$s of value.

Nbd1790

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2017
New York
If you're not upgrading to the 2018 TB model, keep the early 2015 model you have now. The only reason the TB model would be of use is because of the drastic increase in speed due to the quad core processor. If you get the nTB model, you'll have a dual core processor which will be just a bit faster but most likely not noticeable in day to day use.

Not to mention that you'll only have 2 USB-C ports.

SmackBookPro

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2018
Lol good one!

The keyboard is the fundamental part of a laptop. As nice as some of the improvements are on the new Pros, one thing they fail at is the keyboard, literally.
All of the professional users I know love it, myself included. I can type at 100+ wpm and other than being a bit noisy it's one of the fastest and most efficient keyboards I've encountered. The ThinkPad's is okay too but I don't see how it's anything special, then again, in the Windows laptop world most notebooks can't track fast typing lol
[doublepost=1542227475][/doublepost]
Not to mention that you'll only have 2 USB-C ports.
Thunderbolt 3 Ports*, different kettle of fish

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
For $600 I'd keep the 2015 but not for much more than that.... It's 3 years old tech smacked in there and the new machines are better overall. The nTB is an upgrade but not a $1300 upgrade over the price you can get the 2015 at..

Now if you were talking the 2018 quad core that might be worth ditching the 2015 for...

My .02