Price Advice 2015 13" MBP or Mid-2014 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Shintsu, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Shintsu, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

Shintsu macrumors member

Shintsu

I want to switch to using a Mac, but I don't want to get the 2016 since the 2017 will be coming out later this year and may improve upon it. So I'm looking to just buy an older one anyway to avoid the USB-C port issue while support for that hopefully increases. Once that happens I might upgrade to a newer one. I am not asking for any deals to be offered to me from anyone here.

I'm torn between these older ones though. The 2015 is a 2.7 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD for $1,300. It's from the original owner (expired warranty, no applecare), but original box and receipt and no wear at all so it looks just like new. I found a Mid-2014 13" with 2.6 GHz i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD for $900. It has a few minor scratches and scrapes here and there but it doesn't look too bad. No original packaging or anything, just the charger is included.

The 2015 is local to me, the 2014 is through one of those popular auction sites (and the price includes shipping). The seller of the 2014 does offer a 14-day return policy. My suspicion is that I might like either one of these so much that I won't see the need to get the new one later on and mess with the new ports. That mindset puts me on the 2015, the last and newest of the old style that became really divisive with people with the 2016. But at $1,300 it seems pricey, I mean I can buy a '16 refurb for a little less (Though that is only 8 GB and not 16 GB) but it's absolutely brand new with warranty (though I hate to buy a '16 knowing that the '17 refresh will be coming soon and probably improve various things). I can probably make do with 8 GB but I'd like to go with 16 GB for the maximum longevity.

The '14 feels like a much nicer price, but it is a bit older and will feel much more used with the scratches and things on it compared to the '15. The only worry I have on the '14, the seller also looks like they have parts for Macs. Now this may mean nothing, but I wonder if they may specifically get macs that had to be repaired or something and resell them. Their feedback is 98.9%, so not flawless but only 1 negative in the last 12 months.

Advice? I'd like to have one that if I decide I just can't make the switch or if I want to buy a newer one that I won't have a hard time selling and getting most of my money back out of it.

2. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

My $0.02 - I'd get the 2015, if just for the upgraded specs, not to mention the force touchpad, and because it would retain its value a wee bit longer.

Add to that the physical condition, and that it is local + receipt and box. If you can swing it, the 2015 seems a better deal to me. Of course you could try and haggle the price down a bit...

3. Shintsu thread starter macrumors member

Shintsu

I though the 2014's also had force touchpad? I asked the seller of the 2015 and they do not seem flexible on their price at all. I can see where they spent $1,700 on it in late 2015. I don't know how much the original box and paperwork increase or matter to the value of a MBP, as it certainly seems a bit higher priced than other same spec 2015's. Similar ones that sold for the same money usually had some extras like software or magic trackpad or something included.

4. timothevs macrumors 6502

timothevs

Hm, I was under the impression that the 2014s did not have the force touchpad. I may be reading this wrong, but this too seems to reiterate that.

Having been in the same boat as you, I chose the MBP 2015, albeit 15.4". That said, the price does seem a bit high. For a Craigslist deal, I'd pay ~ $1150 tops. The box and receipt help with the resale (should you ever plan to move on). The receipt will help to claim warranty, etc should anything ever go awry with the laptop. It will prove ownership should you decide to purchase a third-party warranty on the machine later.

5. Shintsu, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017

Shintsu thread starter macrumors member

Shintsu

I'll probably have to wait out the seller, they were set on $1,300. I found a local 2016 13" TB MBP 2.9 GHz i5/8 GB RAM/256 GB SSD with magic mouse, several USB-C adapters and a USB-C hub for $1,450 that's basically brand new with case, box/packing and receipt. Wondering if this is a better deal for the money or how much of a value hit the first gen TB MBPs are going to get once the 2017's come out.

I asked the seller who has the original proof of purchase, but says it contains their credit card info and doesn't want to provide it. If they do something to make that information illegible, will Apple still consider that a valid proof of purchase or does it need to be intact with nothing marked? I'm surprised that it would have all of the information beyond maybe the last 4 digits, but I have no idea what the seller is referring to exactly since I've never bought anything from Apple directly myself.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

If you can afford it, go for the 2015.

This is still current in the Apple lineup.

Also, nothing beats being able to see it, touch it, try it first.