2015 13" rmbp getting warm quick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by laz1e, Sep 15, 2015.

1. laz1e macrumors newbie

what's going on guys, so I purchased a 2015 13" rmbp with 8gb/256gb ssd today and I've noticed that the bottom of the macbook started getting warm really quick after watching a 40 second video on youtube, is that normal? I've also played the video at the same time with my 2013 13" mba and the battery life didn't seem to budge with the air, but with the pro, it drained like 2% is that normal as well? any feed back would be greatly appreciated, I will based the answers on whether returning for a new one or just returning altogether, thanks.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're watching a flash video? It's fine.

I'd suggest turning the battery percentage off and just using your computer. It's a rough estimate at best.

3. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

I was watching it as a html5, as I took flash player out of my machine, I've notice you own the vsame machine, how long does it roughly last you throughout the day?

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use it for a couple hours every night and I haven't plugged it in for a few days. I probably get 10-11 hours of battery life out of a full charge.

5. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you typically do on it?

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Really basic stuff lately. I watch Netflix using Safari. I stream movies on Google Play using Chrome. Google has made some major improvements to Chrome, but it still eats up the battery compared to Safari.

7. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

ahh, I see. I'll see how it goes for a few days and see if I like the rumba. thanks for the quick response btw

8. SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

What are your brightness settings at? Turn them down a little bit.

9. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

it's at the 11th tick

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Mine is usually less than halfway. Last night I was in the 2nd or 3rd tick.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Some youtube video is very badly coded and compressed and uses up resources, also if you have just transfered over all of your data from an old machine it could be spotlight indexing this will impact performance and battery life for a while until it finishes. Take a look in your activity monitor to see what is using your CPU/GPU in order to increase the heat.

12. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

alright I'll try that and see if it makes a difference

oh okay. well, I don't think it was an indexing problem, as I was testing the videos on the rmbp right out of the box. just to give more detail as to where the heat started forming, it started forming right where the macbook pro is labeled underneath the computer, would you say that's normal?

13. VesselA macrumors regular

I have the entry level 13" and I can watch youtube videos 1080p full screen, 4K video on external display, run logic pro, many tabs without the fans kicking it at all, with the CPU around 50º - have you noticed the fans making a noise to cool down the machine? - it sounds like you may have a defective unit, because my version can do 90% of tasks without excessive heat or the need to run the fans

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

That is where it usually gets warmest, but it shouldn't be bad. You may want to use istat to minitor your CPU/GPU temps or just take it into apple and see what they say.

15. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

I've took a screen shot of the istat, is this normal? (I just barely turned it on)

Attached Files:

16. VesselA macrumors regular

yes, your fan isn't even running, which means the system isn't hot enough to require it

17. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

oh okay, just wanted to make sure haha. as of right now, I have about 8 tabs opened on safari, iTunes opened with iOS 9 downloading, and a sonos app opened and the temp is @ 57 and the fan is moving around ~1250-1300 rpm. that should be okay as well right? (sorry for the newb and persistent questions)

18. VesselA macrumors regular

yes that sounds normal

19. laz1e thread starter macrumors newbie

cool, I'd like to thank everyone for the feedbacks and quick responses !