2015 13" rMBP issues with black screen with cursor.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigjoe87865, Aug 13, 2015.

1. bigjoe87865 macrumors newbie

Hello, I bought this new rMBP few months ago and recently have noticed an issue. maybe about half the times I wake the laptop up from sleep, I get a black screen with a cursor for 10 to 30 seconds. after the time has passed, the laptop will wake up as normal and be fine again.

I have done some searching but most just seem to point towards making sure the laptop is updated completely and issues related to spotify app. (my laptop is up to date and I never had spotify)

I tried the booting in safemode, but it never asked me to "complete OS X installation" it just boots up as usual in safe mode. Screen flickers constantly when in safemode. but a restart resolves that. does not fix black screen and cursor issue.

not sure what else to do. It is really annoying me

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Are you logged in when you have the lid closed? I have seen a similar thing where I would open the lid and for several seconds I would see a black screen and cursor, then the login window would appear. In my case, when the issue happened all the users would get logged out. I tracked down the issue to a Wacom tablet driver that was crashing. I removed the Wacom driver and the issue went away.

Try creating a new user, reboot, login to the new user. See if the issue happens when using the new user. If it does not then maybe you are running something from your account that might be cussing the issue. I would also suggest trying to Repair Permission in Disk Utility and reboot.

3. bigjoe87865 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I will look in to the new user and repair permission.

I don't ever log off when the laptop goes to sleep. I only have one user account on this laptop with a password prompt to login. I think I have pin pointed the symptoms a little bit more. If the laptop turns off the screen only prior to sleeping all the way, and I move the cursor or click a key to wake it up, then it is black screen. but if the laptop goes to sleep all the way to the point it asks me for my password again, then there is no issue.

edit: I just did the repair permissions and this is the log, not sure what any of it means.

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”Group differs on “Applications”; should be 80; group is 20.Permissions differ on “Applications”; should be drwxrwxr-x ; they are drwxr-xr-x .Repaired “Applications”Warning: SUID file “System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent” has been modified and will not be repaired.Group differs on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.Permissions differ on “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”; should be -rw-rw-rw- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .Repaired “Library/Printers/InstalledPrinters.plist”Permissions differ on “Library/Java”; should be drwxr-xr-x ; they are drwxrwxr-x .Repaired “Library/Java”Group differs on “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”; should be 80; group is 0.Repaired “Library/Preferences/com.apple.alf.plist”User differs on “Applications/.DS_Store”; should be 0; user is 501.Permissions differ on “Applications/.DS_Store”; should be -rw-rw-r-- ; they are -rw-r--r-- .Repaired “Applications/.DS_Store”User differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; user is 244.Group differs on “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”; should be 0; group is 244.Repaired “private/var/db/displaypolicyd”Permissions repair complete

4. bigjoe87865 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

My suggestion was to determine if there is an issue with your user account that could be creating the issue. By creating a new user account, rebooting and logging into the new user account you can help narrow down the issue. It could be something you have installed and running when you login or it could be something that is installed, like a driver, which is loaded when the computer boots.

6. bigjoe87865 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry didn't mention, I already made a new account and the problem still occurred. by the way, would making the new account with administrative vs standard access have any bearing? I chose administrative.