2015 13" rMBP losing too much power in sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aodesigns, Feb 14, 2016.

1. aodesigns, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016

aodesigns macrumors member

Hi guys, my 2015 rMBP appears to been losing way too much power when I put it to sleep.

I've read that entering standby mode the battery should last around 30 days. During the night, in the sleep mode for 9 hours the battery drained by 13%. My older 13" rMBP could literally over a week without losing that much power.

My generally daily setup:

Macbook connected to a P2415Q 4k monitor via DP-mDP
    Razer Naga mouse connected to Monitor, and usb uplink cable connected to Macbook. (Mouse is used in wireless via IR)

Apple BT keyboard

Harman Kardon Nova speakers connected via BT.

When I sleep the macbook I close down all apps. Only thing I don't physically shutdown is Google Drive and sometimes Adobe CC (icons always up in menu bar)

I usually disconnect all external peripherals, including charger. (though i turn it off at mains at night)

So something appears to preventing my mac from entering standby mode I think, but i'm not sure where to start with isolating the problem.

Help and advice appreciated!

Alex

EDIT: Important note, I usually get a "USB device drawing too much power" (or something along those lines) messages on wake up, sometimes two of them.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Why? Just leave it charging overnight.

I'd guess that is your problem. If you've got a USB device plugged in, unplug it. If you don't, take it into Apple. Something internally could be drawing too much power.

3. aodesigns thread starter macrumors member

I turn power strip off at the mains when not in use. Not a fan of keeping things on charge when its fully charged and not in use.

I've noticed this happen when I leave the USB uplink cable from the mac to the monitor plugged in, even though no power is running to any device. AND when nothing is plugged in at all, when i disconnect everything and put to sleep.

I don't get that message every time through.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

For some reason my HP external monitor wake my Mac right back up when I put it to sleep. Disconnect it and the problem goes away.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The charging circuitry stops charging the battery when it's full. It won't hurt anything if you leave it plugged in. Your brand new Mac isn't using 1980s battery technology.

But that's besides the point, because this may be the root of your problem:

If unplugging the USB cable from the display makes the issue go away, then you need to unplug the USB cable from the display.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP:

The latest MacBook Pros take only seconds to boot up from a "cold start".

Why not shut it all the way down at night, instead of sleep?

Sounds like the sleep process could be "disturbed" through the night by other processes going on.

Shut it down, and that won't happen.