2015 13" rMBP or 15" rMBP 2015

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RiskyShenanigan, Apr 26, 2015.

1. RiskyShenanigan macrumors member

Hi, I currently a custom PC user looking to make a transition to Mac and wanted some advice on what Macbook I should buy.

I will be using it for Adobe CC for web designing, coding, browsing, streaming movies, light gaming (Hearthstone).

I will be hooking the Macbook up to an external monitor for work so screen size is not a major issue.

I was wondering if the specs of the new updated 13 " Macbooks will be sufficient for my use with that line being a dual core?

Also will the new Macbooks handle a hookup to a 1080p 37" television for Netflix?

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Any iPhone can do that.

----------

Yes

3. redheeler, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You certainly don't need a quad-core for web development and streaming movies. The only area where you might have a problem is light gaming, but for games like that it should be fine.

Of course. My 2008 MacBook Air can handle a 2560x1440 screen no problem.

My iPhone 2G can do 1080p? Sure... :rolleyes:

4. RiskyShenanigan thread starter macrumors member

What about for Adobe CC, is the dual core going to be an issue for design work in Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects?

Also is the integrated GPU sufficient or will I require a discrete one?

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

My original iPad does 720p. iPad2 does 1080p.
    Any slightly newer iPad or iPhone does Netflix streaming to hdmi in 1080p.

----------

If your main focus is on those apps, the 15" is definitely worth a consideration.
    But the 13" will work, too.

6. RiskyShenanigan thread starter macrumors member

[/COLOR]If your main focus is on those apps, the 15" is definitely worth a consideration.
    But the 13" will work, too.[/QUOTE]

Is this based on the 15" specs or screen size as I will be using a second monitor to use those specific apps?

7. Moshu macrumors member

If you're on budget, 13" will do just fine.

If not, go 15" and don't look back.

I am also into web design - used to do it on a macbook Air and it was ok as long as you understood its limits.
    Since I also run Windows in Parallels, the 15" macbook pro was the best choice for me as I split in half the processor cores and memory between OS X and Windows.

I run big databases with thousands of products, I process daily price feeds, upload new data sheets and photoshop-processed multimedia etc... all these take processing power and computing time, but I suspect your requirements are are not so high.

Therefore we come back to the budget ;-)

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

Is this based on the 15" specs or screen size as I will be using a second monitor to use those specific apps?[/QUOTE]The quadcore. But as the poster above me just stated, it depends strongly on what exactly you are doing in the CC.

9. RiskyShenanigan thread starter macrumors member

I just found out that I can transfer my Adobe CS5.5 Web Premium bundle over to the Mac so it will be that version I will be using.

For Photoshop the usage will mainly be web designing, so nothing related to heavy image editing. Similar with Illustrator it will be related to web designing, however I am looking to get into illustration/digital painting with a Wacom, so I am not sure if that will require more of a quad core.