2015 13" rMBP Pawnshop Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbuckner, May 29, 2017.

1. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

Hi all, long time lurker first post in the MBP forums.

I found a NIB 13" rMBP unopened at my local pawnshop. They have it for a really good price and I currently have it on hold. I know that the pawnshop here have a police database that lists stolen items, but I'm still leery of buying it from a pawnshop. Since it's unopened and in the original packaging, I'm VERY temped to pick it up. I've ran the SE# via Apple's site and nothing crazy jumps out.

Are there any databases that list stolen Apple products to make sure I'm not going to end up with a stolen laptop?

Thanks.....

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

There is no list. Hopefully it's just someone that purchased it on credit and took the cash from the pawn shop and is destroying their credit. This is fairly common. I am not supporting this practice. Just letting you know what many people do.

3. raqball macrumors 68000

You can call Apple and ask them about it.. Just explain the situation and give them the SN#..

I'd also get something in writing from the Pawn Shop that says if there is an issue (lost / stolen) that you can return it for a refund..

4. jbuckner thread starter macrumors member

jbuckner

Thanks for the replys.

@Spink10 That's wild about the credit stuff. Given the price that the pawnshop is selling it for, they didn't get much for it when it was pawned.

@raqball I doubt I'd get any kind of guarantee from the pawnshop outside of the 30 day warranty/exchange for store credit. I think I'll give Apple a call and see if the SE# is flagged for any reason.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to get AppleCare on it.

Thanks

5. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I wouldn't worry about it being stolen.