2015 13rMBP or 2015 15rMBP as a 2nd computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sans35, Jun 2, 2015.

  1. sans35, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

    sans35 macrumors newbie

    Mar 26, 2014
    This should be a pretty popular questions but i cant find a direct comparison.

    I currently uses a late 2013 6 core nMP as my workstation. (D700s 32GB) I use this machine to do all my editing

    I also have a late 2011 2.4 i7 Macbook pro with16GB ram and 1T Samsung SSD for photo editing and video 1080p editing on the go.

    Today the 2011 i7 Macbook pro had some major hiccups (died on me pretty much. scheduled to visit a genius bar tomorrow. Since it past the AppleCare, i most likely will have to pay for repair. If thats the case I might just retired the machine.)

    my dilemma:

    I Have 2 jobs aboard in Europe coming up this summer(3 weeks) and will need to have a laptop to do work on. (photos and video editing)
    Just want to know if i should get:
    the 13 inch with 2.9 i5 16GB(upgraded) and 512SSD ($1,999)
    the 15 inch 2.5G ($2,499)

    Would the extra $500 worth the GPU and CPU upgrade?

    Im not really comfortable using the 13 inch 2.7 I5 128GB and 8GB ram option, or you guys think i should just do this option? since i will only be doing work for the time being in Europe? and rest of the time ill be on the nMP anyways?

    I plan on using the 6 core nMP for main work horse, obviously.. but i would also want the laptop to last for a while and not just for the summer.

    (on average i use the Macbook Pro once or twice a week when I'm on location)

  2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Apr 23, 2011
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    Your 2011 died because of Radeongate, most likely. It's covered even if it's past AppleCare.

    It depends on how heavy your media editing is. If it's heavy 1080p and 4K editing, you'll be better served with the 15" with the AMD GPU. Otherwise, the 13" will do you fine.

    The sweet spot for the 13" is the 2.7/8/256 configuration. Processor-wise, the 2.9GHz is only 2-3% better than the 2.7GHz at best.
  3. SE43 macrumors member

    Apr 2, 2015
    A 2.7 would be a good call but I'd go best bang for your buck being the 2.9, it's not much more than the 2.7 configuration but is wayyyy cheaper than the 3.1 i7.
  4. sans35 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 26, 2014
    Thanks for the input. yeah i googled it it seems like its a graphics card related issue.
    gonna keep my fingers crossed. if Apple can fix the computer then i might just waited out till the next version. If not tjem i think 13" is something ill be looking for!

Share This Page

3 June 2, 2015