2015 15" heavy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Random14, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Random14 macrumors member

I know the answer will be subjective, but just wanted to hear other opinions on if the 2015 15" Pro feels especially heavy. I remember seeing an old 17" and that was massive. I was originally planning on a 13" Pro, but B&H still has a few deals left. I don't really need the power of a 15" over 13", but with those deals and a larger screen size, I'm tempted.

I'm going from an Air to a Pro so I know it'll be heavier. There's not that big a difference between an Air and the 13", but B&H's sale after the last WWDC surprised me, which is why I'm now rethinking my decision. I fiddled around with a model in an Apple Store, but its hard to tell if I'll get used to the extra weight (of 13" vs. 15") or not.

My next laptop will mostly stay at home, moving from room to room or for browsing and watching movies on the bed (which is why I'm not going for a desktop). So I don't have to worry about lugging around a 15" in a backpack, but I'll miss the lightness of an Air (and the 12" Macbook is too minimal for me).

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

I have a older early 2015 13" MBP and a newer Late 2016 15" MBP. I can't really notice the weight difference that much to be honest. I bought the 15" for the power, the 13" is a work laptop so that is my more mobile one, but then I am more mobile with the work one. If I had a choice I would just take the 15, as its more powerful, and weight wouldn't really come into it too much.

3. robvas macrumors 68020

It's definitely not heavy but it does take up a bit more space on a counter/desk

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have a 2012 15" rMBP and don't think that's heavy and the newer machines are much lighter...

5. Pangalactic macrumors member

I used to cycle to my uni with a 7 pound custom build Clevo that I also used for gaming and video editing :D so no, the macbook is definitely not heavy!

6. jerryk macrumors 68030

I am not sure I would want to use my 15" to watch movies in bed. It is pretty heavy and large for that. My iPad is much better for that.

But, I like the 15" hi-rez screen when using it on a desktop. The 13" always seemed too small for my usage and eyes.

7. Random14 thread starter macrumors member

Hm, thank you for the answers, it gives me something to think over. Guess I'll go play around with the demo model in the Apple store more to see how heavy it is to hold or not.

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I use my 2015 15" rMBP as a desktop substitute and as my primary workhorse most of the time, but I really appreciate that when needed, I can grab the thing and easily carry it to some other location. Just last week for a particular project I needed to use it out on my deck and it was not a problem to quickly pick it up and take it out there. It's a whole lot faster (SSD), lighter and more portable than the 2012 iMac it replaced. That said, it does stay at home when I'm out-and-about or /or traveling because I also have the 2016 12" MacBook, which is a delight to carry around and a perfect traveling companion. If I were in a situation where I needed to carry a computer with me everyday, the 12" rMB would win every time. For a desktop substitute which also offers portability and flexibility, one can't beat a 15" rMBP.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Because it is so subjective, I highly recommend ensuring wherever you get it from honors at least a 2 week return policy with no questions asked - this way, when you decide if it works for YOU or not, you have options if it does not. With my first 15 Uni, it initially seemed absolutely massive, but I quickly took a liking to the bigger screen and the very comfortable palm rest (however, the 17 palm rest was even better!) The performance of the CPU is also easy to fall in love with.

Is the Air new enough and in good enough condition to still be used as a mobile machine? I use my lighter SP3 and MBP13 to remote into my MBP15 all of the time, which I use as my main workstation (macOS + the touch functionality of the Surface Pro is a pretty sweet combination!) If you are out and about, this would give you a mobility option with processing capability. If you wanted ultra portable for use in your bed, you could even pick up a $150 Chromebook and remote into the 15 MBP so you still have macOS (plus, if you ever wanted to use the native OS, ChromeOS is pretty good for media consumption - mine gets stupidly long battery life in the ballpark of 15 hours, and even when streaming video it still runs for a ridiculously long time.)