2015 15" MacBook Pro, Is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nismo13, Jan 23, 2016.

1. nismo13 macrumors newbie

hey guys i just upgraded my 2010 macbook pro and got the base model 15 inch pro. However i noticed two strange things. One is the magsafe 2 adapter is leaking light from where the wire is attached to the metal unit (it looks like a light halo). Secondly when the screen is displaying black it has an area of light leak and a purplish/pinkish area on the opposite end. The pics below illustrate the problem. The picture with the black screen looks much more exaggerated than it really is the phone camera just adds more light to it.

*** I also added a 3rd pic with a black picture on the desktop which doesnt show the weird yellow and purple colours.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Isn't the LED on both side of the power adapter? I'm trying to dig mine out but I think its in the other room at the moment.

As for the other issues, do you notice anything when you use the laptop normally, or only when you pull up a black image (which probably won't ever occur in real usage)? If you notice something when you use it, take it back.

Edit: I just checked and the led is on both sides of the magsafe connector.

3. JTToft macrumors 68040

It's hard to be sure based on the pictures, but if the LCD backlight is sufficiently uneven, get it replaced. It's not normal.

As for the MagSafe, I see what you mean. It shouldn't be there, but it probably doesn't hurt. Get it replaced if it bothers you.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

LED charger light looks normal to me, or at least consistent with the 5 or so i have dotted around.

5. nismo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey for the magsafe i was referring to halo around the actual wire connected to the metal portion. There is what looks to be a light leak around the wire where it connects to the metal adapter.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Alright, but I still don't see how it could be an issue. I'm not trying to sound harsh but you seem to be complaining about light leak on a charging cable. I just don't see how it could be a problem, or issue.

7. nismo13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking since the wire is not completely sealed it may come loose over time and break. Thats why i was asking if this was normal.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

its normal, see it on all the magsafe2 chargers i've used. the LED screen thats how they get manufactured unfortunately unless you're staring at a black screen all day i doubt it will be noticeable or an issue..but its ultimately up to you and Apple.