2015 15" MBP Fans

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Dec 8, 2018.

1. puma1552 Suspended

If you like 2015 models, Apple suddenly has numerous configurations up on the refurb site, right up through 2.8/1TB/dGPU models...get them while you can because they won't be up for long.

2. markovchain macrumors member

I really like 2015 models. But considering the lame quality of Apple refurbished, I rather hold onto next year models than having the irritating inconvenience of replacments.

don't you agree?

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No.
    I don't know what your possible experience might be, but personally, after purchasing about 10 different Apple refurbs (sometimes for other people/gifts/whatever) I have had no returns of refurbs. I DID return a new Mac, DOA, got a refund, bought an identical refurb, which had no problems, whatsoever. Still use that MacBook daily after 10 years, a 2008 Macbook4,1

4. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

My experience with a refurb was less than stellar and I am currently on a brand new 2015 model that was just built in July, right at the end of the run before Apple discontinued this model. But, I understand my refurb experience may have been...poor and abnormal.

5. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

Woooow Apple would do this after I had to swap in my 2015 for This 2018 but I live it still

6. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Anyone have comments on a 2.2 vs 2.5 vs 2.8 purchase decision?

(I have a 2.8 right now and trying to figure out how big of a deal it would be to step down as I'd like it cooler and less fan spinning)

7. Airboy1466 macrumors 6502

Airboy1466

it would be hotter because it would have to work harder, what do you do on you mbp?

8. Martius macrumors 6502

Martius

Oh, I wish I had a chance to buy one. Best configuration of Apple's best laptop. I have the base model, which is great, but you know = dedictated graphics & 1TB = <3

I have never thought I would be actively seeking a 3 years old Apple laptop and willing to pay a premium price for it.

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

I mainly use mine on its own for web dev, Excel and general use.
    I do dock it from time to time when I need to edit photos or do a simple video in FCPX (never 4k+ type stuff and not for work or anything).

My only frustration with my 2.8 is that the fans go nuts when I plug in my 4k monitor and in another thread a gentleman who has a 2.8 and 2.5 both has indicated that the 2.5 runs much quieter and cooler.

It makes me wonder if the 2.2 would also be just fine. For 90% of my usage I'm just on the machine itself doing normal light-med work tasks and it would seem the 2.2 might be perfect for me with cool, quiet and efficient operation.

Off base?
    The benchmarks I can find don't seem to indicate a huge range of performance difference between any of the 3 options (2.2/2.5/2.8)

10. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

For basic tasks my 2.2 is silent and temps are in the mid-30C range. Nice and cool.

11. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Are there any times you find any UI lag in Mojave or doing anything in Apps?
    (just on internal screen)

I guess - are there any times doing anything you feel the CPU might be holding something back?

You mentioned basic tasks - are there some things you do that make the 2.2 spin way up?

12. puma1552 thread starter Suspended

Nope.

I don't do much but Chrome is a resource hog and it's fine, also I was running a 24"Cinema Display and it was still fine, and I do run the computer's resolution at the max 1920x1200...still silent and cool doing all that at the same time, with iTunes and Excel and a few browser tabs at the same time.