Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Standard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
Hey all. My laptop works "OK" hooked up to it's Samsung 28" UHD monitor. I have a question about the fans.

When doing any graphical work, the fans crank on loud. I am wondering if this will cause any damage to the machine? Will extensive work like this, creating more heat, hurt the board in anyway?

Need to know if I should be using my desktop for this work instead.

Thanks.

andreyush

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2015
The board is ok. If anything would be harmed because of the high temperature the Macbook will shut down itself to prevent that.
The board and the components are made resistant to very high temperatures so stay calm. :D

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hey all. My laptop works "OK" hooked up to it's Samsung 28" UHD monitor. I have a question about the fans.

When doing any graphical work, the fans crank on loud. I am wondering if this will cause any damage to the machine? Will extensive work like this, creating more heat, hurt the board in anyway?

Need to know if I should be using my desktop for this work instead.

Thanks.

You are using a thin light laptop to run a 4K screen during graphically intense work, it will get hot and crank up the fans to deal with that heat, if it gets too hot it will throttle back impacting performance.

Unfortunately, despite what people seem to believe, we aren't at the stage where laptops can replace desktops for graphically intense work on very high def screens.

Patcell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Bergen County, NJ
Granted, this is totally anecdotal evidence and pretty short-term as well... But I have been using my mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT 750M) with an external UHD monitor (Dell P2415q) for over a year now. The machine spends the better part of each day connected to the Dell UHD monitor with the lid closed. Occasionally the fans spin up when needed, but I have had absolutely no issues at all. The temps run a bit higher using the external monitor, but that's to be expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.