2015 15" New MBPR VGA would be...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LEOMODE, Apr 4, 2015.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

I am patiently waiting for the next gen 15" new MBPR.

Since I explicitly need the MBPR for both Mac OS and Windows gaming, I have no other choice but to use MBPR (not to mention I love the trackpad and the hardware too...so I will not go with Hacintosh for that matter).

However, the only drawback for me is of course the VGA. GT750M is kinda old and I am wondering what would the next VGA be.

It looks like as of today Nvidia doesn't offer GT950M yet, and I am really wishing it could be at least a GTX M processor.

What would the next VGA mostly likely be? Please let me know!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

For clarity's sake, you're asking about the GPU, not VGA.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

Was about to say that. VGA is a type of video connector for monitors or projectors. Some GPU's have a VGA output, but they're still a GPU.

4. leman macrumors 604

Either the 950m or they will drop the discrete GPU entirely and use only integrated.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's the GPU, not VGA.

A GPU with a TDP of below 50W will be used. That would make it a GTX 950M (35W) or GTX 960M (40W).

But I wouldn't be surprised (although sorely disappointed) if they decide to drop the dGPU entirely.

6. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

So I guess if they do put GTX950/60M, wouldn't it be much powerful than previous cards since they were only GT rather than GTX?

I believe that if it's GTX950/60M there would be a possibility of heat issues. But then of course I would love it if Apple puts GTX series onto the MBPR.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Heat won't be an issue, because both the GTX 950M and 960M operate at lower TDPs compared to the current GT 750M.

The current GT 750M has a TDP of 50W, while the GTX 960M has a TDP of 40W. The GTX 950M is even lower at 35W.

8. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

So I'm curious, is the heat issue only determined by how much TDP is?
    Because when I see other gaming laptops with GTX 950, 960, 970M's they looked like they were suffering critically from heat issues. And since they're gaming laptops I am sure that they have better cooling system than MBPR. Please shed me a light on this on how by putting GTX 950/60M won't have any heat issues just because its TDP is lower than GT750M.

9. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

You just answered your question, TDP is Thermal Design Power - aka the max amount of heat the component will produce. If the TDP goes down in the next generation by choosing a lower TDP graphics unit then that means there is less heat that the rMBP would need to be able to dissipate at maximum load. Thus a cooler running Mac

10. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

That is awesome then! I really hope mbpr includes the most powerful (within the thermal boundaries) card...and i guess it will be either 950 or 960m then...i do hope they put in 970m though..

11. christarp macrumors 6502

christarp

The 970m is completely out of the realm of possibilities sitting at a TDP of 75 watts. The 960 could be put in, or apple could put in the 950 and try to push the battery further.