2015 15" post WWDC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fthree, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Fthree macrumors 6502a

So the WWDC has passed is everyone still happy about their 15" 2015 purchase? Any uneasy feelings or unanswered questions? (We knew going into it there wouldn't be any Crazy updates but some were silently hoping)

I know that I Purchased mine knowing that between the time I bought it and the time I retired it I would miss about 5 possible substantial updates. Still there was a piece of me listening very carefully to every word last night.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It would have been a marketing nightmare had they rolled out a Broadwell based 15" MBP mere weeks after rolling out an update

3. TechnicallyTee macrumors demi-god

TechnicallyTee

I actually bought mine right after the keynote and still feel very happy with my purchase. Top tier 15" that I plan to keep for years to come! Love this thing with it being my first Mac.

4. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

5. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Still feel great about it. Especially with Metal's inclusion into upcoming El Capitan, I really think Apple is going to do away with dGPUs in notebooks entirely. I am happy I grabbed what I think will be the last Apple notebook with a dGPU.

6. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

I agree with this.
    I'd rather have a laptop with a dGPU than get a new redesign without one but with that horrible new keyboard.

7. SE43 macrumors member

If you're talking about the keyboard on the new Macbook (With the butterfly design) you won't see this on the Macbook Pro line. The reason they had to make the new keyboard was due to wanting a thin design, and this thin design doesn't allow for a thicker keyboard. The MBP being much thicker can accommodate a traditional and nice feeling keyboard.

Apologies if you meant something else.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It seems with the Skylake redesign they will likely target a thinner case design for the 15" rMBP. When have they not redesigned it and come up with something thinner?

9. SE43 macrumors member

Oh yeah for sure, it will be thinner but not Macbook thin.

10. Flabasha macrumors member

+1000. Also interesting to note that Metal is optimized for OpenCL, not Cuda, which could explain their choice of dGPU...

11. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, nvidia cards in the post-yosemite era just became obsolete.

12. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Maybe not, but a thinner keyboard will help them get to a thinner design.

13. newellj macrumors 601

You're assuming the overall design remains static, which almost certainly will not happen.

14. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm curious about this one. Sure, Iris Pro isn't as powerful as the new AMD GPU but for the nVidia models, provided Metal plays nicely with Iris Pro then you should have two options to cover both Open CL and Cuda. Is this not a good position for the average user?