2015 15" Retina - Power Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by choreo, May 25, 2017.

1. choreo, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017

choreo macrumors regular

choreo

I purchased a new 2015 15" MBP Retina in December last year. I keep it stationery on my desk and never move or unplug it from wall outlet. Battery usually shows 98% - 100% charged.

Tonight while on the Internet (and not paying any attention to the light on the MagSafe connector or the state of charge on the menu), I got a low battery warning at 5% charge left? When I looked at the MagSafe connector, the light was dead. I tried shutting down and doing the SMC reset twice, but nothing. Also tried resetting the PRAM. Mac battery is now dead.

I tried removing the extension cord from the charger and plugging it directly into the wall - still no light on the MagSafe connector.

Would you guess it is the charger or the MacBook itself that has died 5 months after purchase?

I am sure if the charger where dead the LED on the connector would not light up, but is there a condition where the LED would not light up if the charger were working?

Only thing I can think of that I did recently is upgrade the Sierra System software from the previous to the latest version yesterday, but I did not check battery following that upgrade.

2. Mr Invisible macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same problem. Turned out to be caused by dust/dirt. So give both the plug end and the socket a good clean, that may solve the problem for you.

3. choreo thread starter macrumors regular

choreo

AppleCare sent me a replacement charger - that was the problem - back up to 100% battery power now.