Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keonoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
I just bought the 2015 15" rMBP and this is my first MacBook with a dedicated graphics card. I installed gfxCardStatus which notifies me every time the computer switches between the Intel Iris Pro and the AMD card. I noticed it switches to the AMD card for pretty basic tasks like changing wallpapers or playing video in Safari in some instances.

I was just wondering if this is normal since I have nothing to compare my machine with

Thanks!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yep, normal.

Best advice, get rid of all the monitoring software and just use the machine. That software makes people paranoid.

keonoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2015
Yep, normal.

Best advice, get rid of all the monitoring software and just use the machine. That software makes people paranoid.

Thanks! Turned off the notifications and trying not to be so paranoid haha

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Eh.. the app is pretty helpful in determining where an app is turning on the GPU so you can quit it and switch back to the internal GPU. Some apps are more problematic than others (Firefox vs. other browsers).

Yeah, I'd turn notifications off, leave the icon in the menubar so you can see if apps are unnecessarily keeping the dGPU running.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
If im on battery and I notice my browser or another app unnecessarily turning on dgpu, i set it to only use integrated.

If im on power, I dont care which is being turned on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.