2015 Broadwell 15" Retina MBP Timeframe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NuzzyFutts, Jul 22, 2015.

?

Will new Retina MacBook Pro's come out in the next 2 months?

Poll closed Sep 2, 2015.
  1. Yes

7.5%
  2. No

92.5%
  1. NuzzyFutts macrumors newbie

NuzzyFutts

Hello All. I will be going off to college soon and I was just wondering when Apple is planning on releasing the updated MacBook Pros with the Broadwell chips, specifically the 15inch ones. On June 2nd, Intel released mobile Broadwell processors suitable for 15' rMBP's. I have waited for about 3 months to get a new MBP, just in case Apple releases one in July or August

What do you guys think? Will they be releasing one soon? July? August? September even?

I really hope they release it before September because I don't want to wait until AFTER school starts. Also, I know they are releasing their education deals details this week too so do you think that has anything to do with it?

Thanks1

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Its very hard to say. Apple just released one in May, I would be surprised of they did another one this year. But I cant speak for Apple.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

In a word NO. They just released one 2 months ago.

The best guess at the moment is that they'll skip broadwell and go straight to skylake early next year.

IF they do go to broadwell it'll be a silent update in the next couple of months but I don't see it personally.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As mentioned apple already communicated (indirectly) when a broadwell MBP will be released - never. They rolled out a spec bump in June, they're not about to roll out a Broadwell based computer with Skylake waiting in the wings later this fall.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

With the trouble Intel has been having with hitting release dates, it seems there is a pretty good chance that Skylake will be released sometime early next year. Hopefully I'm wrong...

6. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

A GPU bump without a processor bump is RARE in the Apple world. The 15" rMBP 2015 update pretty much confirms that the Iris Pro Broadwells aren't ready, and won't be for months.

7. techfestlunch&dinner macrumors newbie

in otherwords get off the forums and buy it now LOL

8. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

As of the moment I post this, everyone participating in the poll (20 people) have realistic expectations. Enjoy this moment, it rarely occurs.

9. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Last I can remember was the 13" with the 320m, is that right?

10. NuzzyFutts thread starter macrumors newbie

NuzzyFutts

Well Apple literally just announced the education deals with the Solo2's and if the past are anything to judge buy, the next rMBPs are coming soon. Last year, the new rMBPs came out a little less than a month after the education deals were announced. So I'm still gonna wait and see. Might just use my iPad for a week or two when school starts if they aren't released by then...

11. HighRes15 macrumors member

The problem was not about Skylake, but yields on the 14nm process. Broadwell is the 14nm shrink of Haswell, which was 22nm. The 22nm yields stabilized early, and Haswell released on schedule. But 14nm was delayed. Both Broadwell and Skylake are 14nm chips.

The design of the Skylake architecture is independent of the process maturity of 14nm. Broadwell simply got delayed too long because it was directly dependent on the process shrink, and now that Intel is able to generate 14nm parts, there's no point in volume production of Broadwell. There's a newer and better architecture in the form of Skylake, also on 14nm, while Broadwell is an almost 3 year old Haswell architecture on 14nm.

Intel are on record with their Skylake release announcement, and implicitly they're dumping Broadwell in favor of Skylake. What really matters is how much production volume they can generate upon release. If they're volume constrained, that will affect both Broadwell and Skylake, and if I were them, I'd focus on sorting out Skylake volume. It is not clear whether Broadwell's low volume today is a persistent 14nm yield issue, or simply Intel focusing on committing resources to Skylake production instead.

12. NuzzyFutts thread starter macrumors newbie

NuzzyFutts

Hmm. I dont know why I said Broadwell in the beginning. I meant Skylake anyway. But I dont know. I might as well wait. Its not like I need the laptop at the moment so might as well wait another month... Thanks everyone...

13. oGu macrumors member

Skylake is not coming anytime soon. If you can wait for it till early next year than yes. If not go buy it now.

14. NJPT macrumors regular

I'm not sure what evidence this statement that "Skylake is not coming anytime soon" is based on. Skylake roadmaps leaked 2 months ago indicated desktop Skylake chips arrive in August, while mobile Skylake HQ chips suitable for 15" MBPs are scheduled for September-November. Performance reviews for the desktop i7-6700K, which was scheduled for August, have already leaked, so there's not really any indication that the Skylake processors as a whole are delayed beyond the roadmap at this point.

Sources:
    http://www.thinkscopes.com/2015/05/...-plattform-overview-and-thinkpad-speculation/
    http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review-gaming-performance-5820k/

15. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

He probably means they aren't anytime soon to MacBook Pros, which is 100% logical, given the 6+ month average between updates.

16. NJPT macrumors regular

Well, we shall see. All evidence thus far indicates Skylake HQ chips will be released in time to update the 15" MBP for the holiday shopping season; whether or not they come with sufficient availability for Apple is unclear. As to whether Apple would update the 15" MBP even if the chips were available, it's far from a 100% certainty either way.

I fully concede that Apple typically waits 6+ months between MBP releases, but this year's May 19 update was highly unusual in many respects. To my knowledge, Apple has never updated the MBP mere weeks before appropriate next generation Intel CPU chips (in this case, Broadwell on June 2) that could have been used were released.

Based on that, as maflynn posted, my suspicion is that Apple plans to update the 15" MBP with Skylake by late October/early November. Really, the only other logical scenario for Apple's earlier update without Broadwell would be that it knew it would not have sufficient availability of the Broadwell chips for the back to school shopping season.

17. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

My feeling on this is if you need a computer to get your work done (and you will for school) then you should purchase whatever is available to meet those needs. It is extremely unlikely that Apple will release new Mac's in September. September does not fit Apple's Mac release cycle at all as it is iPhone month. October is likely a tad over optimistic and by that point you will be into the midst of reports and mid-terms.

Waiting for the "next best thing" leaves you unprepared and wasting time that could be better spent on your studies. At the end of the day a Mac is a tool and one your are undoubtable going to need to complete your work and studies.

18. NuzzyFutts thread starter macrumors newbie

NuzzyFutts

Well, I went and ponied up, and just bought a MacBook Pro 2 days ago. I figured, there really isn't going to be anything new other than a new Processor and no new design, so I might as well buy it. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the discussion!

19. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

My belief if that there will be skylake mbps in October.
    I agree with everything you've posted so far.
    Another possibility: Apple knew of the pending release of processors in June and decided against waiting any longer as it would put the 13 and 15 further out of sync. Waiting would also shorten the time period between updates on the 15 assuming suitable skylake processors release in Oct/Nov further annoying customers.

20. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

If Apple does release an updated rMBP in October/early November as you suggest, it will probably only be centered around the Skylake processor. The anticipated chassis redesign, which in recent history has been done every four years, could come in June, with a big presentation at WWDC.

21. Mcmeowmers macrumors 6502

Good point. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same dGPU in the late 2015 update. Opinions?

22. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Yeah. Don't see Apple changing that card so soon. (They kept the Nvidia 750m for two rMBP iterations, as well.)

23. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

In history they have no consistency. They release new MBPs whenever (they are ready).
    And like every country if they can make holiday shopping season they will do it.
    14nm does not delay anymore so Intel won't delay Skylake. Those chips will show up in time and in great enough quantity. I think in October there might already be new Macs but possible mid November. I think it is very unlikely they wait till next year just because some people think they are regular update intervals of 8 months or some nonsense like that.

24. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Thats not nonsense that is pure economics the fabrication of the chips is the same that has nothing to do with all the retooling of fabrication lines needed to put skylake in the macbook pro. Broadwell could slot straght in but it's increasingly likely they will skip it and go straight to skylake. I don't see any new pro's til early next year based purely on the economics of a quick change at this point.