2015 iMac 27" - Video Issues (iMovie/Quicktime)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tdbrown75, Dec 27, 2015.

1. tdbrown75 macrumors member

tdbrown75

I have a BTO Late 2015 iMac Retina 5K with the following specs:
    3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB
    512GB SSD

I have had the machine for about two months and have had zero issues, until today. It's the first time I pulled up iMovie to do some video editing. Both newly imported video as well as old footage in my libraries appear pixelated on the right side. Same thing happens when I try and play the AVCHD files in Quicktime.

I am posting here as the very same files on a 2011 Mac Mini, with the same versions of OSx and iMovie, work just fine. So I know the issue is isolated to my iMac.

I have the issue showing up on multiple files, from multiple Sony cameras and my iPhone. Although the iPhone video only appears pixelated in the preview screen. AVCHD files appear pixelated in both the preview and the main window. SD movies (both old and new) seem fine.

I removed my added memory, ran hardware diagnostics (no issues), formatted and reinstalled OSx (same issue) and have been trolling the net for similar problems, but can't find anything like it.

I finally broke down and called Apple support, and spoke to 3 different people before submitting detailed diagnostics and screenshots to engineering. I was just curious if anyone else has had any similar issues with the M395X?

Tim

Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.10.10 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-12-27 at 7.10.34 PM.png

2. Calipad Suspended

Calipad

I've had that before it was the video card.

3. desmond2046 macrumors regular

desmond2046

I agree. I think it is likely the hardware problem of the graphic card. I've had similar problem on a linux workstation and it resolved after replacing the graphic card.

Have you ever played 3D games on this iMac? It could show similar problem. I suggest that you bring your iMac to Apple Store and show them what happens.

4. tdbrown75 thread starter macrumors member

tdbrown75

It's an odd issue, that's for sure. Movies play out of iPhoto no problem. No issues with 3D gaming either.

The issue occurs only when using iMovie and Quicktime, and only with HD content. SD content looks perfect.

I have a Genius Bar appointment for 1:30 today. Will report back with their findings.

Tim

5. tdbrown75 thread starter macrumors member

tdbrown75

Two hours at the Genius bar, technician believes its a bug and not a hardware issue so its back to waiting on engineering. Hopefully will hear back from them soon. Just for grins, can someone with the 395x try and download the following file and play in quicktime?

snow.MTS

Here's what I see...
    Screen Shot 2015-12-29 at 8.16.02 AM.png

Tim

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Just as a point of reference, the file above plays fine on a late-2012 Mac Mini.
    No artifacts at all.

If the movie plays fine using other apps -- and only displays artifacts when using Quicktime -- I'd have to reckon "it's software", like the Genius bar tech did...

7. tdbrown75 thread starter macrumors member

tdbrown75

Coming back with an update, hopefully someone else might benefit from this post in the future.

Calipad called it. After engineering reviewed the detailed diagnostics and screenshots, they determined the problem was a hardware problem related to the video card. I took the machine into Apple for a logic board replacement (video card / memory are integrated).

I picked the machine up Saturday, and the issue is in fact resolved. No more pixelation!

Tim