2015 iMac 5k: RAM bottleneck?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -BigMac-, Jan 21, 2016.

1. -BigMac- Suspended

-BigMac-

Hi guys.

Would the 8Gb of RAM be bottlenecking my system? I have the 3.3Ghz i5. with 2Tb fusion.

Has anyone found their computer struggling under circumstances purely because of their 8Gb ram?

thanks so much!

2. MadDane macrumors 6502a

You can try to monitor your RAM usage in Activity Monitor under the tab Memory. What you want to look for in particular is the usage of Wired Memory

Whether your could be struggling due to lack of RAM depends on what you use your machine for.

3. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

I have 4GB of RAM regular have at least 50 safari tabs open and never have an issue. Never had an issue doing video or music stuff either.

8 is fine. If you even have to ask then you don't need more RAM than that. You would know if you did.

4. double329 macrumors 6502

During the first month after I purchased the 2015 5k iMac with 8GB and 2TB Fusion drive. I didn't notice any bottle neck for day to day usage. I believed the OSX managed the memory really well. However, I did upgrade mine to 16GB recently. I upgraded, mainly just because. Not because of there was an memory issue or bottleneck. With 16GB, I still don't see a real noticeable different, again for day to day usage. I am sure when you do use one of those memory hungry type of app, you would see some different, but even that. I think it would make my life less productive. I upgraded my iMac memory just because RAM price was cheap enough. 8GB is fine from my expericence.

5. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

For 98 percent of users, 8 is plenty and shall be for a long time. I'm a wedding photographer and have huge lightroom libraries and am working with 800 mb multi layer psd files and I barely use half of my 24 gigs I have installed. 8 gigs is overkill for gaming. The only time you'll ever feel it's lacking is if you're doing some hardcore video editing. And honestly if you are, you're going to be bottlenecked by your cpu first lol.