iPad Pro 2015 iPad Pro update issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Felchus09, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Felchus09 macrumors newbie

Felchus09

My organization purchased 2 2015 iPad pro's with a grant a back in 2016. The person managing the devices has since left and they are now on me. When i went to update from ios 9 I was told that an OTA update is not possible and to connect to itunes. I work for at a government hospital and there is zero chance that I can work with IT to get itunes installed on our computers. I also just got rid of my home computer, as I saw zero need for one. Does anyone know of a way I can get them updated? The people I work with are pretty computer illiterate and i wont do it. Can i just go to an apple store, or is there a way to do it OTA somehow?

2. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Connect to wifi open settings > general > Software Update.

3. Felchus09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Felchus09

Yes, I did try that. I am then told that the current version of IOS does not support OTA update and to connect to itunes.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Sounds to me like the Government IT department has put "restrictions" on the device(s).

5. Felchus09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Felchus09

They were purchased through a grant for our program and not government property. I believe the issue is that io9 is so old that apple doesnt support OTA to upgrade to ios 12.

6. VineRider macrumors regular

I would expect that if you go to an apple store they will have a computer you can use to update them.

7. rui no onna macrumors 604

rui no onna

It does support OTA updates. I have an iPad Air on iOS 9.3.5 that bugs me to update to iOS 12 every so often. The constant notifications can actually get pretty annoying.

The device may have been purchased via grant but there are plenty of businesses that require putting restrictions on anything (including BYOD) that will be connected to the business's network or store client information. I expect it's even more important for hospitals that need HIPAA compliance.

Seriously, I think your first contact should be with your IT department. If they can't/won't help, then bring it to Apple Store.

8. AutomaticApple macrumors 68000

AutomaticApple

Take a trip to the Apple Store.