2015 iPhone - 6S: 2GB RAM and 32GB storage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icanhazapple, Nov 26, 2014.

1. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

I would be totally satisfied if the base model was upgraded to 32GB of storage, included 2GB of RAM, and they fixed a fair number of bugs with iOS 9 (okay, that last part might be wishful thinking)

Thoughts on the likelihood of this happening? This seems reasonable to me. It fixes Apple's iOS adoption rate problem (lack of local storage) and is reasonable for flagship phone hardware in 2015 (I would guess the flagship Android devices go 4GB RAM and 64Bit fully in 2015)

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Personally, the specs do not matter one single bit as long as the level of optimization is there :)

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Probably it will have 2gb of RAM, although supply issues, room on the chip, and battery life will all play a factor.

I doubt they will bump up from 16GB base as I'd wager that is still their most popular model, and would cut into profit margins greatly.

Most other phones still don't come with more than 16gb base, and many are not available with more than 32gb native at all, so I think singling out Apple here is a little odd.

4. icanhazapple thread starter macrumors 6502

There is noticeable lag on my 6+, I can't say I'm very pleased with the performance. My family member's 5S seem quicker.

Played with the iPad Air 2 - that thing is a beast. Tri-core CPU and 2GB of memory will do that though.

5. mtneer, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It would be nice to have all these features. I believe that 2GB RAM has a the best likelihood of showing up.

However, 32GB base model will crimp Apple's "up-sell" ability. I think they will stick to the 16/64/128 GB spread. Maybe introduce something at the very high end at 256GB with an enormous markup.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I think the 8 core GPU in the A8x has more to do with that than anything else. The A8 only has a 4 core GPU.

7. 617aircav Suspended

8. Pelea, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014

Pelea macrumors 6502

well since the 128gb model costs $50 more than the $16 model to make, and that's over 100gb a difference, we can easily deduct that the $32gb model would cost at most $10 more than the 16gb model (price of ssd in a year's time will be even lower than it is now).. meaning the cost of production would increase by at most 4% ($225 for a 16gb iphone 6 atm if i'm not mistaken).. i wouldn't call that "cut into margins greatly".

Moreover If you compare the amount of users that would buy a 32gb base model and upgrade instead of keeping their own iphone (thanks to the increased storage at a lower price point) that 4% is decreased even further.. so idk what their problem is.

edit: not sure how this would affect the 64gb version though and the % of sales in that version. they'd be forced to reduce the 32-64 upgrade to $50 if they did add a 32 standard (they wouldn't give us less extra space for the same price.. theoretically).. so that may be the problem.

edit2: Given that 100gb of storage extra costs $50 atm and that they charge us $200, 3x more than any other company, i don't think we should be "thankful" or "happy" if they did finally decide to upgrade the min storage and reduce the cost to the 64gb version.. it's only reasonable based on the decreased cost of ssds in the last 5 years..

9. nfl46 macrumors 603

2GB is a given for the 6S next year. They may or may not get rid of the 16GB as base next year, and wait until the iPhone 7.

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I went from the 6 to the 6 Plus yesterday and do not see what the talk of lag is about. My Plus runs every bit as fast as my 6 did. Where, exactly, do you get lag, what were you doing?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think Apple will keep 16GB as the entry level.

12. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think you were getting to this, but yeah, it's not just that the 16gb saves them money directly, it's that it drives a lot of sales to the larger capacities. How many millions of users would opt for the 32gb at $499 rather than ponying up an extra $100 for 64gb? That's a huge amount of money.

Even if Apple charges more for the bigger capacity, what other phone is available with 128gb of NAND at any price? No, cheap SD cards don't count.

13. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

14. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Really, where's your proof that 2GB of RAM is a given for next year? Apple seems to think their OS is fine and is optimized to work great on 1 GB of RAM.

15. nfl46 macrumors 603

My proof is the iPad Air 2 got 2GB. The new iPhone will follow. :)

16. nabwong macrumors regular

I have the 5 and I'm not going to buy another until they have 2gb of ram.

17. Bahroo macrumors 68000

No lag at all on my 6 Plus, it is absolutely buttery smooth and incredibly blazing fast

Having Reduce Transparency on in Accessbility in General in Settings fixes every single thing, no landscape rotation lag, no spotlight lag at all, no UI stutter at all ever...I highly reccomend having it on

18. lyceumHQ macrumors 6502a

lyceumHQ

To be honest. With phones were at the point of diminished returns.

What more can they include?

You'd like to think 2gb of ram is a given. But this is Apple. Maybe they'll save that for the 7.

We already have a super thin phone optimised to perfection with a fantastic screen and a 64bit CPU. What is there to add?

Even if another company releases a handset with some new and amazing groundbreaking technology it won't be included on the 6s because anyone thinking Apple don't already know exactly what the 6s is going to be is quite frankly, daft. The 6s is already set in stone. And besides 2gb of ram I honestly don't think there is anything To be brought to the 6s.

The 6s will be an incremental update with any bugs Apple perceive to be in the 6 ironed out. This is what every S model had been. What reason is there to think Apple will change that now?

So I think 2gm ram. And the usual 100mhz cpu upgrade. And I'd hope base model with 32gn because they really should have done that this year.

I really hope they don't go thinner yet again because I found the 6 too thin and slippery. I deliberately went for a case that added bulk so it had some semblance of grip.

But as always. We won't know until the keynote.

19. kepler20b macrumors 6502

No shot you'll see 32gb

they moved to 16 because it saves them money and they know that most people dont fill up their phone anyway.

16-64-128 is what you're going to see for many many years moving forward.

20. businezguy macrumors 6502

I'd love to see the entry level 6S come with 32GB, but I give it a 0 percent chance. I think it will come with 2GB of RAM though. That will be one of the selling points of the iPhone 6S.

21. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

The A8x will kill the battery time on an iPhone! It not design to be use on an iPhone.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I have the lag too...

I am not sure 2GB of ram would do a darn thing to fix that though.

23. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I whole heartedly agree. The A8x isn't designed for a device with a smaller battery(and lower heat dissipation abilities). Hopefully Apple introduces something with similar performance but lower power consumption next year.

24. HarryWild macrumors 6502a

HarryWild

The A9 is suppose to be 14nm in thickness. The current A8 is 20nm. If this is true; the A9 should be 30% faster and 20% more battery life because it draws less current. And if Apple does soup up the graphic chip; it will rock over the iPhone 6 especially with double the RAM! May be overall; 50% faster output then the current iPhone 6!

25. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

6s

2 gb ram
    Much improved camera
    Sapphire screen.