2015 MacBook 12in Blinky Folder

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Went to wake my MacBook this evening and was greeted with the blinky folder. After some Google-Fu I tried booting in recovery mode, SMC reset and PRAM reset. No luck with any of them. Still at the blinky folder. I read elsewhere that someone put theirs in the refrigerator for about 15min and they said that worked.

Is it dead? Try the resets again? I have an Apple Store appointment tomorrow to see what they might be able to do.

Back story, logic board was replaced a couple months ago, so I think if it’s a hardware issue, I should be covered warranty wise. Logic board was replaced when my laptop came back wonky after a battery replacement.

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Got into disk recovery, utility sees my Time Machine USB drive, but no destination found to restore to. When I open disk utility, the only volume it sees is the 2gb OS image partition, not the 256-ish-gb disk partition.

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sounds like the flash storage is toast! That's soldered to the logic board.
If you are less than 90 days after the logic board replacement, then the service part warranty should cover that.

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Sounds like the flash storage is toast! That's soldered to the logic board.
If you are less than 90 days after the logic board replacement, then the service part warranty should cover that.
Yep, that's kinda what I am thinking...toast.

chipchen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2002
Yea, call Apple, get logic board replaced again. It over 90 days, keep asking and ask for higher up because this comes too soon after the repair.

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Yea, call Apple, get logic board replaced again. It over 90 days, keep asking and ask for higher up because this comes too soon after the repair.
Yea, I looked up the repair date on my logic board replacement, Aug 2019. Well past 90 days. My how times flies, seems like it was just yesterday!

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
Soooooo....

She's dead. Apple store tech ran diagnostics and came back with "SSD not found". $575+ tax for depot service. I didn't scream too much on covering the logic board replacement, I have a personal articles insurance policy on it that I hope will get me into a new 13in Pro.