2015 Macbook Air Idle Temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by scrunt_hunter, May 24, 2016.

1. scrunt_hunter macrumors newbie

So my brand new macbook air seems to be idling at an unusually high temp. I'm monitoring with Monity (I checked it against istat menus to make sure the readings were accurate) and my cpu core is anywhere from 44-70, with constant spikes. The heat sink is usually in the low 30s. I know 44 isn't abnormally high for the cpu, but spiking to 70+ during normal use (i.e.: safari and mail the only open apps) can't be normal. Spikes to 60 seem to be the norm and occur everything third or fourth time I look at the temp before lowering to the 40s again.

Because it's brand new I can't imagine it's the thermal paste (unless they just applied it like morons the first time). What baffles me is the temp spikes without any logical reason.

Any one have any ideas what could be causing this?

2. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Is it not where a brand new Mac needs a day or two to settle down. Can't remember what a new Mac keeps its self busy with... I'm sure someone will chime in. Encryption maybe?

3. scrunt_hunter thread starter macrumors newbie

That's the thing though, I'v been using it since Friday and I don't have firevault enabled....