Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonnyborders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
Hi there, please help!

My Air doesn't respond to the power button. No boot up chime or anything on screen. Appears to charge okay. I've tried resetting the SMC with no luck.

Had this issue for a couple of days now and I eventually got it to turn on yesterday by pressing the power button over and over in frustration but I'm having no luck with that this time. Thought the power button may be faulty but when I reset the SMC, the MagSafe charger responds every time and instantly.

Nearest Mac store is a long drive away and don't want to risk it with somewhere unauthorised. 1 month out of warranty! Gah!

AFAIK it's running the latest macOS beta.

Thanks in advance!

Rok73

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2015
Planet Earth
What does "AFAIK it's running the beta" mean? Wouldn't you know which version of the OS is on your rig?

Does it matter if the charger is connected or not?

I'd contact Apple anyways and see what they say. Maybe call the support first before anything else.

Jonnyborders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2016
What does "AFAIK it's running the beta" mean? Wouldn't you know which version of the OS is on your rig?

Does it matter if the charger is connected or not?

I'd contact Apple anyways and see what they say. Maybe call the support first before anything else.

Sorry, the emphasis was supposed to be on -latest- it's definitely running the Sierra beta, just not completely sure which version.

Doesn't seem to mke a difference whether the charger is connected. I'm taking it to an Apple reseller nearby today so fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

peckerhead

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
I had the same problem on my 2014 Air. I took it to the Genius Bar and it needed a new logic board. An expensive repair :(

peckerhead

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
300 something, right?

I think it was £321 (British pounds) they quoted when they phoned about it.

Although expensive, it seemed better than shelling out the full price for a new machine. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

Reactions: Rok73

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Hi there, please help!

My Air doesn't respond to the power button. No boot up chime or anything on screen. Appears to charge okay. I've tried resetting the SMC with no luck.

Had this issue for a couple of days now and I eventually got it to turn on yesterday by pressing the power button over and over in frustration but I'm having no luck with that this time. Thought the power button may be faulty but when I reset the SMC, the MagSafe charger responds every time and instantly.

Nearest Mac store is a long drive away and don't want to risk it with somewhere unauthorised. 1 month out of warranty! Gah!

Thanks in advance!

Had you bought AppleCare, that would've been an expedited repair that would've been fixed at no charge.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
If it were me I'd take it to the Apple Store and hope for the best. Since your warranty only expired a month ago they MIGHT be willing to help you out.

Reactions: Rok73

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
I think it was £321 (British pounds) they quoted when they phoned about it.

Although expensive, it seemed better than shelling out the full price for a new machine. Going to pick it up tomorrow.
You should be able to get your laptop fixed for free under consumer protection laws.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Hi there, please help!

Thanks in advance!

Out of warranty? Did you purchase with a credit card which offers an additional year of warranty coverage?

Last edited:

peckerhead

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2009
You should be able to get your laptop fixed for free under consumer protection laws.

I bought it in the US so the consumer protection laws don't apply. I suppose it's a risk you take when buying cheap good abroad.

I probably wouldn't do the same now, but the exchange rate was a lot more favourable in 2014.

I've also got a bank account that provides a second year's warranty on all electrical goods, but again it excludes goods purchased outside the U.K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.