Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Hello all. I'm seriously considering purchasing the current generation MacBook but I'm slightly concerned...I have read a few reviews that state since the MacBook doesn't have a lot of power that it can have trouble using larger, high resolution external monitors. The article I read stated a 4K display, which isn't what mine is but I will need it to power my 32-inch Quad-HD display. It is 2560x1440. Will it be able to do that? I just do basic email, Safari web surfing, and other light stuff like that.

Thanks for the help!

mmthor

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
Hello all. I'm seriously considering purchasing the current generation MacBook but I'm slightly concerned...I have read a few reviews that state since the MacBook doesn't have a lot of power that it can have trouble using larger, high resolution external monitors. The article I read stated a 4K display, which isn't what mine is but I will need it to power my 32-inch Quad-HD display. It is 2560x1440. Will it be able to do that? I just do basic email, Safari web surfing, and other light stuff like that.

Thanks for the help!

You will be fine, assuming you have the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter and that your monitor has an HDMI input. I just got a Dell P2416D monitor this week (24" QHD) and it looks amazing with my MacBook. Couldn't be happier.

If you have a 4k monitor, then the MacBook can only run it at 30Hz, which some people think has unacceptable lag. I haven't tried that myself, so can't comment from personal experience.

sakabaro

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2015
I am running a dell U3415W 3440*1440 @60hz via hdmi, so yeah you should be fine. But pay attention, hdmi cable matters! Has to use the one furnished with the apple tv to make it work, other non-branded cables were either syncing at 30hz or dropped the connection.

Speaking of 30hz, I've tried a bit working in 30hz, it's annoying, it's not really worth the more pixels IMHO.

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the info! I ended up purchasing a base model Space Gray MacBook yesterday! So far I'm in love! Oh, and it powers my external monitor just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.