2015 MacBook, External CD Drive, and iTunes Autoplay

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by pennengr, Jun 13, 2018.

1. pennengr, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

pennengr macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a 2015 MacBook with no built-in CD/DVD player. I recently bought an external CD/DVD drive to convert some CD's to digital. The problem I'm having is constant iTunes launches when I insert a disc. I'm putting the digital files on a NAS drive, and using iTunes to rip the CD's results in missing album art - so I was trying to use XLD.

Is there a command line way to prevent iTunes autoplay for CD's? I know that there is a system preferences pane - but this is absent on MacBooks without built-in CD drives.

Thanks for any advice. I've been searching for a couple of days without success.

2. pennengr thread starter macrumors newbie

Even worse - if the disc wasn't previously imported it starts doing so automatically into iTunes every time

3. JackRoch macrumors member

Anything in iTunes Preferences that might help?
    e.g. on my iMac there's 'when a CD is inserted…' followed by pop-up menu.
    i just use 'show CD'

4. pennengr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I'd missed that setting - so I am able to "show CD" instead of import, but so far not able to prevent iTunes from opening.

5. JackRoch macrumors member

I use that setting but also the CD/DVD pane in System Preferences – which I do have even though my iMac doesn't have an internal drive…
    upload_2018-6-14_17-47-56.png

6. pennengr thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's what I have. I saw a note on the Apple site about how the preference isn't available on certain Macs. prefs.jpeg

7. JackRoch macrumors member

Aha! I've just unplugged my external CD/DVD drive and the preference pane for it disappears.
    Normally it's shown immediately before 'Displays'…

upload_2018-6-15_0-25-29.png

upload_2018-6-15_0-25-51.png

8. pennengr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - this did it for me. The preference pane is only present when the drive is plugged in.