2015 MacBook, External CD Drive, and iTunes Autoplay

pennengr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Hi - I have a 2015 MacBook with no built-in CD/DVD player. I recently bought an external CD/DVD drive to convert some CD's to digital. The problem I'm having is constant iTunes launches when I insert a disc. I'm putting the digital files on a NAS drive, and using iTunes to rip the CD's results in missing album art - so I was trying to use XLD.

Is there a command line way to prevent iTunes autoplay for CD's? I know that there is a system preferences pane - but this is absent on MacBooks without built-in CD drives.

Thanks for any advice. I've been searching for a couple of days without success.

Last edited:

pennengr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Even worse - if the disc wasn't previously imported it starts doing so automatically into iTunes every time

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Even worse - if the disc wasn't previously imported it starts doing so automatically into iTunes every time
Anything in iTunes Preferences that might help?
e.g. on my iMac there's 'when a CD is inserted…' followed by pop-up menu.
i just use 'show CD'

pennengr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Thanks - I'd missed that setting - so I am able to "show CD" instead of import, but so far not able to prevent iTunes from opening.

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks - I'd missed that setting - so I am able to "show CD" instead of import, but so far not able to prevent iTunes from opening.
I use that setting but also the CD/DVD pane in System Preferences – which I do have even though my iMac doesn't have an internal drive…
upload_2018-6-14_17-47-56.png

pennengr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Here's what I have. I saw a note on the Apple site about how the preference isn't available on certain Macs.
prefs.jpeg

pennengr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
Thanks - this did it for me. The preference pane is only present when the drive is plugged in.

Reactions: JackRoch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.