2015 Macbook mission control lag

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zhenya, Jul 23, 2017.

1. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

When I first invoke Mission Control there is a discernable lag before it displays the windows. After the gesture is performed the first time, for some period the lag goes away. However it's frequent enough to get in the way of using one of my favorite multi-tasking gestures. Do the newest models continue to have this same lag or are they perfectly smooth?

2. v1597psh macrumors regular

v1597psh

I've got the same lag on my MacBook Pro 15 Mid 2015 and iMac 27 Late 2015. It's started when I updated to Sierra. I can confirm that Apple fixed it in High Sierra as they moved the whole WindowServer process, responsible for all animations in macOS, to Metal.

3. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Thanks! Hopefully it will be fixed even on my MacBook in High Sierra. It works perfectly even on my 2008 era iMac although that is still on El Capitan (I believe - whatever the latest release for that model is). I'll have to check my wife's old iPad Air to see how it behaves - it is also on Sierra.

4. smacx macrumors newbie

You might check if it‘s really a lag or if it‘s just that you swipe upwards too little. I read about this somewhere and found out that after swiping more that just a flick the lag had gone.
    This is because Apple set the speed of the animation as fast or as slow as your swipe.

5. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

Sometimes it does indeed feel like this is the case (I think I heard the same thing somewhere) - but then it seems clearly smoother if I repeat the same gesture again. And like I say I never experience this on my nearly 10 year old iMac.

6. smacx macrumors newbie

It came up for me with sierra. Which OS does your iMac run on?

7. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

I think it's El Capitan.

8. smacx macrumors newbie

That might be the reason why you didn‘t have the problem on your iMac. Try focussing on your swipe

9. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

No, there is definitely a lag when I first invoke the gesture. It catches, then goes smoothly. After initiating it the first time it is butter smooth no matter the speed of my swipe.

10. zhenya thread starter macrumors 603

zhenya

I've been doing this more carefully since last night, and compared it more closely directly against the old iMac. While there is very certainly a slight hiccup on the MacBook when this gesture is first invoked, it does appear to be mostly related to the way the animation has changed. Doing a slower, more deliberate gesture seems to make it smoother. This is my favorite multi-tasking gesture ever so hopefully it will be smoother still in High Sierra! Not ready to update this laptop for another couple of years!