2015 macbook pro 13" or 15" 2014?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gandalfthepurpl, May 15, 2015.

1. gandalfthepurpl, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

gandalfthepurpl macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am struggling to decide whether to pick the new macbook 13" dual 2.9GHz 8GB 512GB i5 or the 15" quad 2.2 GHz 16GB i7.
    15" is only £30 more for me so price is not an issue.
    Can anyone help me?
    I'm buying the laptop for university where I'll be doing chemical engineering. I'll also be using it for Logic Pro as well.

Basically I want the most future proof laptop which I'll be able to sell in a couple of years.

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

15" all the way, because of the way better GPU and also the quad core i7. Logic Pro is multithreaded, so the quad core i7 will shine.

3. Anand953 macrumors regular

The 1st biggest deciding factor for you should be 13" or 15". Thereafter other factors like price and model year should come into picture..

With 13", you get more portability whereas 15" is a complete Desktop replacement with all features..

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Buy the laptop that fits your usage needs. If you need portability, the 13" rMBP may be the way to go. If you need more processing power, a better GPU and a larger screen, the 15" rMBP is the model for you.

Either one will have good resale value.

5. jonobin macrumors regular

well if you plan to buy a 15" I suggest you to wait until the nex WWDC (12 of june) ;)

6. geralddarden macrumors member

geralddarden

Personally, I would go with the 15 inch. More CPU cores, more memory, more screen real estate. I have a 15 inch Mid-2014 rMBP and my coworker has a 13 inch MBP. He often states he wishes he has the same screen real estate and will probably be upgrading to the 15 inch sooner or later. On the other hand, I have another coworker that just purchased a 2015 rMBP 13 inch and he loves it. He came from a 13 inch MBA though.

All comes down to your personal preference. If you are looking to have something that you could sell a couple of years down the road I would go with the 15 inch since you cannot upgrade the memory and 16GB should be enough for a few more years.