2015 macbook pro advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DanJBS, Nov 12, 2016.

1. DanJBS macrumors member

Hi guys, I need some advice with my macbook pro 15 2015.

I was quite disappointed with the new pricing for the 2016 macbooks after the keynote so I rushed and got a 2.2 256gb 15 inch 2015 MacBook pro from John Lewis. They still had the £1599 price tag vs £1899 new Apple price and they offered 3 years warranty. After a few days I noticed that when the lid was half way closed it was loosing wi fi signal to the point where the internet stopped working completely. Opened the lid back to 90deg and it started working again. Easy to replicate. After calling Apple support I reinstalled the OS tried different troubleshooting but nothing worked so I took it back to the store. They didn't have the same model in stock so I decided to pay £400 more and get the 2.5 512gb with dedicated graphics card for £1999.

Now another problem. I just feel very unlucky. When trying to watch some video online the fans started going out of control. The laptop overheats very easy and the fans go over 6000rpm. I'm using it the same way as the previous macbook I returned which didn't have this problem. Tried it on my iMac, my 2012 MacBook pro non retina and they work just fine. Again tried reinstalling the OS but nothing helps. I am using Chrome and flash player but the same happens when using Safari. Strange thing is that the CPU is under 30% when this happens. After a lot of reading online it seems like many people are having similar issues and it's hard to show as the Apple hardware tests are passing fine.

Anyways, I am thinking about taking it back to the store, get a refund and buy the 2016 MacBook when it becomes available (now it sais 4-5 weeks). I just can't accept these sort of problems for the price. I just hope they accept it back.

What do you guys think I should do?

2. PaulWog Suspended

Return it and get the new one. If it overheats, it overheats. Just be sure that it's not you being bugged by a little fan noise.

You may also want to wait to see how the 2016 15-inch performs with whatever graphics solution you will choose (450, 455, or 460).

Bad luck happens. When I built my desktop, I had to return:
    - 2 faulty motherboards in a row (1 faulty, 1 recalled)
    - 1 faulty graphics card
    - 1 processor due to a tech mis-diagnosing a problem
    - a squealing power supply

My first Apple laptop had bad Wi-Fi that cut out all the time (2011 11" Macbook Air). Users on this forum defended that laptop like mad and flamed me out of the forum for reporting issues (seems the forums are better nowadays).

My last Windows laptop smells like chemicals, fills my backpack with that smell if it sits in there, and has a faulty trackpad & improperly supported motherboard drivers by Samsung.

Tech comes with bad luck streaks. And even more if you are picky ;) Don't settle, but have realistic expectations too.

3. DanJBS thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. I'm going back to the store today. May take a trip to the Apple Store first to see what they say about this. I made a video with my phone to show them.

It's true that I like my tech to be perfect and I'm a bit picky but this macbook heats up so bad that it's painful to touch the part above the keyboard. Kinda same temperature as my heating system:)). Plus the desk gets very warm as well. Got 99deg on the monitor app yesterday while doing a clone. Strange thing though, half way through the clone it cooled down completely then starting heating again.

I'll let you know how it went.

4. PaulWog Suspended

Go in and say exactly that... Say the laptop heats up so much that it hurts to touch it just above the trackpad.

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Make an appointment at Apple, take in store and show them the symptoms.

They will work out the cause and fix it.

If Apple tells you its fine, go get a refund.