Price Advice 2015 MacBook Pro good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ANTAWNM26, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ANTAWNM26 macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

[​IMG]

Wondering if this a good deal. I'm coming from windows this will be my first mac. Or should wait and get a 2017 MacBook Pro?

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

3. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

4. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

Depends on your needs (MacBookPro11,4):
    - Small 256 GB 8.0 GT/s PCIe x4 Flash Storage is hard to upgrade with a larger full speed replacement drive
    - No dedicated graphics card in that model
    - 2,2 GHz is the low-end processor speed on that model
    + 16 GB is Maximum RAM

From that timeline, I'd prefer a MacBookPro11,5 (MJLU2xx/A) with dedicated graphics, maxed out specs and from a trusted source or to wait and see what the next revision is all about.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201300

But if you need it now and for Mail, Safari and usual office stuff, if it fits your budget and if the former owner handled it well, why not?

5. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Yea I will def ask him and inspect. What are some of the things you would look for?

6. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

Some of the things to check:
    - Battery cycles and condition (can be checked in System Profiler)
    - Functionality of all ports (maybe run Apple Diagnostics https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731)
    - Display without visible flaws, e.g. never treated with weird cleaning chemicals (can get defective coating -> matte parts)
    - Overall condition (scratches, bumps)
    - Get the original invoice (in case you ever need a firmware reset by the Apple Store)

7. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Got it thanks. How do you get to system profiler?

8. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

-Menu -> About This Mac -> Overview -> System Report -> Power -> take a look at first chapter and third paragraph for battery cycles and condition
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203001

In System Information (aka System Profiler) there will also be a menu 'Diagnostics' at the left side with some info that you will get from running Apple Diagnostics.

9. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

OrganicCPU- excellent answers. Hat tip to ya...

ANTAWNM26- where was this listed?

10. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

It was listed on Craigslist

11. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Craigslist is a place I am always leery of, but it is worth checking out. What's the current status of this process?

12. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

He's saying he works late hours plus my schedule. I'm trying to physically look at before Friday. At a safe location that is. Is there anyway to tell if it's stolen. Also if he doesn't have original invoice for apples reset process is there a way around that?

13. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

There is, but it requires technical skills that just very few people do have. For most of us, the answer is no.
    From https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203409
    Take into account, it can rarely happen that no firmware password was ever set, but even so your Mac is asking you for one.

As I stated above, I'd never buy a new generation Mac without getting the original invoice.

Exception from my own rule: I got a Mac mini without invoice. The former owner didn't find it anymore in his large chaotic book-keeping with changing responsible accountants. But the Mac mini was a present and I was sure it wasn't stolen, because I know the guy personally. Though, I'm aware that the Mac could get useless and all my data lost, just because of a firmware issue that won't get solved by Apple.

AFAIK, there is no way to definitely make sure it isn't stolen. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-can-i-find-if-a-macbook-pro-is-stolen-or-not.1754173/
    In your case, I'd at least make a contract of sale and check the seller's ID card against the original invoice. If you have the feeling, something is wrong, just don't buy it, there will be other offers. Good luck!

14. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

15. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

Contacted him again after I asked all the questions I gathered from here. Well all of a sudden it's been sold. Well guess I will look on swappa or eBay

16. McRumour macrumors member

"........will give you some MIS-info on its original configuration" :

Using that link I entered the serial number for my brand new MBP, purchased 2 mos. ago at B&H
    The specs it brought up showed it to have a 256GB SSD
    That's wrong!
    It's 500GB

so...looks like the link's not entirely reliable

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Mine also came up with the wrong hard drive.

18. organicCPU macrumors 6502

organicCPU

Even Apple won't tell exact specs, if you enter your serial number at https://support.apple.com/specs/.
    They'll just show the general tech specs of the Mac model range associated to a serial number, actually without model identifier or part number.

I don't believe that there is a reliable way, third party services can tell exactly what is inside a Mac by the serial number. It has to be looked up on the specific Mac. I guess the everymac page tries it's best to serve you with additional valuable information. IMO, other good sources for buying decisions or investigations are f.i. Geekbench Browser or Mactracker.

19. ANTAWNM26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ANTAWNM26

[​IMG]

Found same MacBook Pro on swappa plus warranty till 2019 for the same price $1100