2015 Macbook Pro loosing 10% battery per 24 hours

shaunsheppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
I have a 2015 Macbook Pro, it's not used heavily and from what I can tell the battery has been cycled around 113 times.

Lately, I've noticed that if I log out of my account, close the lid and return to open it the next day, it's lost 10% of it's battery power. So after just over a week of no use it's lost all of it's battery.

Does this mean it needs a new battery? The battery condition is showing as Normal.

UPDATE:

I checked the Macbook @ 10:19 this morning, it was at 76%. I closed the lid and I've checked it again at 13:54, it's down to 73%. That's 3% lost in just over 2 hours!!!

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
What does Coconut Battery show as the overall battery "health"?

For overnight, I'd power it down.
Then... reboot in the morning.
That's what I do with my own 2015 MBPro 13".

shaunsheppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
It shows;

Current Charge: 4268 mAh
Full charge capacity: 6265 mAh
Design capacity: 6559 mAh
Cycle count: 113
macOS Battery status: Good
Battery temperature: 22.9c

shaunsheppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
I've closed all applications and quit everything in the bar at the top, i.e. Docker, Google Drive, disabled bluetooth and disabled location services. I've even turned off wi-fi too.

shaunsheppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
Quick update. I shut down the Macbook earlier today (3 hours again). I've just booted it up and it's lost 3% in 3 hours while switched off!! How on earth does that work?

frou

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2009
Does it have an SD card inserted? I remember reading something about an SD card being inserted stopping Macs from being able to go into the deepest sleep state.

shaunsheppard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
Nope, nothing at all plugged in.

I've just reset the SMC to see if that might make a difference.

nerowolfe19

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2018
My 2012 rMBP had given me enough headache because of battery drain during sleep until I forced it to hibernate after going into sleep mode as per this post. Now it stays at 100% when hibernating provided automatic sleep is turned off (a bug of sorts).

My advice is don't rely on % as a measure since it can be misleading when restarting. Instead check the current charge in mAh and see if that shows a discernable change.

Better yet, see if keeping it shut down for an extended period of time eg 12h+ affects its battery life for the remainder of the charge, which is the litmus test pertaining your concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.