2015 Macbook Pro mystery...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmaccy, Mar 15, 2015.

1. macmaccy macrumors member

Just purchased a new 2015 Macbook Pro from the Apple store. Checked the various console logs and discovered numerous logs for March 4, 2015. I just purchased 03/14/2015..... Very strange????

Macbook was sealed. Only odd thing I noticed was at first start-up.....dark screen for 15-20 before boot. Very slow and lagged during set-up process.

Called Apple support and was told this is unusual and could not have happened at the factory. Offered to erase and restore....

Think Im going to exchange this and get a fresh non-used or virus infused Macbook.

Has anyone ever seen this before??? Maybe Im being a little paranoid?

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

You are not paranoid. Anything can happen, despite of Apple's statement.
    Exchange it.
    Good luck!

3. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

The device wasn't even released then. I am assuming it could have happen during testing when manufactured. I wouldn't stress about this. I think you went into the computer looking for something "wrong". Relax.

4. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

Went back to the Apple store and exchanged....No problem. I figured I might as well upgrade while I was there....but turns out that the log entries are "normal".
    Spoke with a very knowledgable Genius.... After I exchanged he showed me that the new Macbook would have similar entries....He was right.

I guess I was a bit paranoid....but I did learn something. :apple::D

So to all of you that buy the MacBook Pro, check your log. Kinda gives you an idea when your mac was made.

Mystery solved......:apple:

5. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Not surprising. If they didn't do something like that, the failure rates of their products would rise significantly. Pre-ship hardware validation decreases the risk of DOA units.

Dell, HP, and IBM, etc. all do that for their server-grade hardware. You'll always see log entries in the UEFI or SAN controllers that are dated before the customer gets them in their hands.

6. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

Never occurred to me to dig up logs.

As long as its sealed, authentic and it works who cares?

7. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

8. macmaccy thread starter macrumors member

9. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

You do know they turn them on and check they work before they pack the box in the factory?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

New computers are turned on and go through a burn in process to make sure they're fully functioning - this is what you're seeing.