Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2013
I just recently bought a new Macbook Pro 15" 2015 2.2GHz 16gb ram 256SSD and it's running El Capitan. I can't get the machine to recognize my external hard drive. I've used the external Hard Drive on several other computers(all macs) without issue and even now when I plug the external Hard Drive on my Mac Mini it works just fine. The external Hard Drive is formatted as ExFat.

I've already contacted apple without getting a solution just a go to the genius bar suggestion.

So any help is appreciated.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
it *might* be an issue with el crapitan like I am having for a while. refuses to mount an external driver after a few suspend/resume cycles, mounts Ok after a reboot... worth a try, maybe.

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2013
it *might* be an issue with el crapitan like I am having for a while. refuses to mount an external driver after a few suspend/resume cycles, mounts Ok after a reboot... worth a try, maybe.

I'm thinking it is an el crapitan issue. What are the sets you are doing for a reboot? I've tried a few with no luck.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
nothing special, but more info : drive is an external 1.5TB with 2 partitions, both hfs+ one is for time machine other is for a different backup strategy I do...

plug in, does not mount any of them, some esoteric errors in dmesg.
reboot, plug in, mounts immediately.

really annoying. never happened on previous versions (doing this since mountain lion, same drive, same bay).

I have a lot of odball stuff like osxfuse and tuxera that might share the blame too tough (SIP is disabled from day zero)

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Thanks for sharing the tips. When you say reboot are you shutting off and turning back on or just restarting?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Stupid question but did you try plugging it into a different USB port?

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2013
I did try different USB ports and I've tried putting a flash drive in both ports and without any trouble the flash drive pops up.

I've also checked disk utilities and the external hard drive doesn't even pop up there.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
Stupid question but did you try plugging it into a different USB port?

not stupid at all! - not a different port but i just tried to plug the HDD dock directly to the macbook usb port when it was in that 'fail to mount' state and it works!

(usually the dock is plugged trough an usb 3.0 hub) the plot thickens :)

well at least i dont need to reboot to perform a backup anymore until appel fixes this eventually.

livelongdienvr

macrumors member
Original poster
May 13, 2013
not stupid at all! - not a different port but i just tried to plug the HDD dock directly to the macbook usb port when it was in that 'fail to mount' state and it works!

(usually the dock is plugged trough an usb 3.0 hub) the plot thickens :)

well at least i dont need to reboot to perform a backup anymore until appel fixes this eventually.
What do you mean by this? I'm using a Western Digital my Book External hard drive.

ps. still no luck or regular pattern on getting the MBP to read my external hard drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.