2015 MacBook Pro overheating - options?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockymtnsadmac, Mar 22, 2015.

1. rockymtnsadmac macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I purchased a 2015 13 inch MBP about a week ago. On day 1, I attempted to play a couple of simple steam games (goat simulator, robocraft), and the laptop became very hot within 2 minutes of playing, fans roaring. The display glitched, and the laptop restarted. This has happened every time I've attempted to play a game. I called Apple support, and they walked me through a few resets--no luck. The rep suggested that I buy more RAM and install it.. my understanding is that the RAM is soldered, and these games are not taxing.

I ran diagnostics, and it returned error code PPF003 - there may be an issue with the fan. I made an appointment at the nearest Apple store (1.5 hours away). I am new to Apple computers and was wondering: should I return the computer to BestBuy where I purchased it? I Would really prefer to not deal with them. Best Buy is about the same distance from me. Also, would Apple likely replace the laptop, or service it? I Would hate to be without a computer for a few days as I need it for work, and it is difficult to work a road trip into my schedule.

My last concern: should I be worried about any long term damage from the overheating this week? My fear is that they fix the laptop, and I run into issues in the future due to the prior overheating. I cannot afford $250 on top of this purchase for Apple Care+. Thank you very much for any assistance, it is greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find a similar situation with a 2015 MBP.

2. tylerwatt12 macrumors regular

Mac's aren't really meant to play games. But it seems there is a severe issue with your notebook.

Are you playing these on bootcamp or OS X?

Next time you're playing games, make sure you set your resolution lower to 1280x800 or 1440x900. The the native resolution of 2560x1600 is bad for gaming performance.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You have a bad fan - either not spinning, or not spinning fast enough.
    If the fan is not working properly - and there's only one fan in the 13-inch - then you shouldn't try to use it until you get it fixed.

The Apple Store MIGHT be able to help you. They will be able to replace the fan - not a difficult task, or they may tell you to take it back to BestBuy for the warranty work.
    You may get to return it to BestBuy anyway, as that's where you purchased it. You have 12 months hardware warranty, no need for AppleCare yet, although having AppleCare would simplify things at the Apple store.
    You would also be able to return, no questions asked, if you are still within the first 14 days after purchase. I'm not sure if BestBuy honors that, but you would have to ask them.

4. lexR macrumors regular

lexR

im guessing you read the post HERE about giving the insides a blow out? it dropped my temps down significantly however as previously mentioned pushing the macbook pro gaming is going to make it warm no matter what... you tried a fan control like SMC or iSTAT??

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Well, yes, if you have used it for some time, maybe a year or more.
    OP says that it is brand new. Regardless, shouldn't be overheating to the point of shutdown. And - diagnostics point immediately to a likely hardware problem with the fan. And, unlikely that a "blow out" will help anything.
    I can predict that running max heat - with minimal, or no cooling air, results in a quick "exit"

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Apple Support suggested this?

Interesting. :confused:

7. fishguy macrumors newbie

Do you have google chrome running? It has compatibility issues with my Mac so I switched to safari.

8. leman macrumors 604

Your laptop is defective. You should bring it in for repairs under warranty. Is there no Apple certified service provider closer to you? Another option of course is to return it at BestBuy, if they offer free returns (no idea).

@tylerwatt12, @fishguy: did you even read the topic??

9. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I'm guessing those posting here are assuming that the OP purchased a recent model, and not the 2012 MBPro, even though Best Buy (and Apple, too) still sell that older model MBPro. Some folks still want that internal DVD, and fairly easy upgrades. But, OP mentioned the idea that memory is soldered in place, and again assuming) the OP said a new one, so maybe he knows what he's talking about, and just used the short form MBP, even though it's a retina display.

All that doesn't make a difference when a new one out of the box appears to be overheating, showing some kind of fan issue. No matter, it still needs to go back.

And, so far - the OP hasn't come back with any additional comments.

11. rockymtnsadmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all of your help everybody. Sorry, I should have clarified, it is the 2015 rMBP. I am still learning the terminology, this is my first Mac in about 10 years. I made the trek to best buy, and they allowed me to exchange the laptop without issue. In response to an earlier comment, I was attempting to play steam games in OS X, I tried multiple resolutions.

I really appreciate the responses. This seems like a great community, I will definitely be sticking around!