2015 macbook ssd disappeared, stuck with folder icon on start up

mia-rafael

Suspended
Original poster
May 21, 2016
hi, after 3 nice months of Catalina my gold 2015 MacBook's ssd drive suddenly vanished, i get this blinking folder icon with a question mark during start up,

i did nothing different with this MacBook but added an update several weeks ago, nothing notable,

I rebooted the computer using the same 8gb usb drive i installed catalina from in he past to use disk tools but it does not see any hard drive at all!

please advise

Last edited:

JeffreyVB

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2019
Va Beach, VA
My 2015 12in did the same thing Tuesday. Apple Store said SSD failed, I was quoted $575 to replace the logic board.

Last edited:

mia-rafael

Suspended
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Mine 2015 12in did the same thing Tuesday. Apple Store said SSD failed, I was quoted $575 to replace the logic board.
that does not sound logical, how does a ssd fail and why would you need to replace the logic board?

P.S. macbook logic boards sell between $100-$250 used on ebay depending to whether or not you want 256gb or 512gb ssd

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
that does not sound logical, how does a ssd fail and why would you need to replace the logic board?

P.S. macbook logic boards sell between $100-$250 used on ebay depending to whether or not you want 256gb or 512gb ssd
Stuff breaks, buying a used logic board is crazy talk. It has or will fail, it was replaced for a reason. Then unless you have the expertise to install it the cost becomes close to having Apple to it with a warranty.

mia-rafael

Suspended
Original poster
May 21, 2016
Stuff breaks, buying a used logic board is crazy talk. It has or will fail, it was replaced for a reason. Then unless you have the expertise to install it the cost becomes close to having Apple to it with a warranty.
Buying used logic board that was in a MacBook most likely damaged on the outside (screen cracked, trackpad etc) is fine if its in perfect condition, its crazy talk if you don't know your buying a b stock - refurbished and you paid a market price...

Last edited by a moderator:

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Buying used logic board that was in a MacBook most likely damaged on the outside (screen cracked, trackpad etc) is fine if its in perfect condition, its crazy talk if you don't know your buying a b stock - refurbished and you paid a market price...
Here in the United States, if the computer is shrink wrapped and sold in an Apple Store, it is a NEW computer, and has never been handled by anyone else rather than who manufactured it. I don't know what wack laws you have where you live, but consumer protection laws have been around for the last couple of decades in most of the developed world.

Now I will also say this: If you buy a different logic board, and put it inside of your computer, not only will that create a serial number mismatch, but your board may not work at all due to certain components needing to be paired to it during manufacture. Only Apple Authorized Service Providers have these pairing tools.

Replacing a logic board on any laptop computer that has been sold in the last five years, apple or not, is very difficult and non-successful in most attempts. At least Apple can service it and give you a 90 day warranty.

The Macbook 12" has been known in certain circles to be one of the worst computers apple has ever created. Whether or not yours was made in a different factory most likely has nothing to do with it, one way or another every one of these computers is going to have a problem, big or small. I'd put down the caffeinated conspiracy latte you've been drinking.

objektør

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2014
At home
You have probably tried internet recovery (option-command-R) or restore from backup?
I've had this question mark folder some time ago and tried this. Several times. In the end I got rid of it and it started up normally though it took some time.