2015 MB: Noisy Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Cobalt50, May 18, 2016.

1. Cobalt50 macrumors member

I've read two posters that say the 2015 MB has a noisy keyboard. I've read one poster who says it's not noisy.

Can we get a consensus here? I was eyeing the 2015 because it's on sale in some stores. I was going to go to the Apple Store and check it out myself but then realized Apple will have the 2016 on display.

Help please!

2. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

I've owned both and I don't feel or hear a difference between the two. The keyboard does make some noise but certainly way less than the mechanical keyboards of old. Whether you type lightly or bang away also affects the noise created. Light typing is, in my opinion, your friend when using this keyboard.

I'm surprised someone with a sound meter hasn't measured the two by now.

3. asoksevil macrumors 6502

Maybe it's more about knowing how to type on the new rMB keyboard as opposed to the more traditional like the ones on MBA or MBP.

4. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

Well, using a sound meter would be great. But you would have to have a consistent, equal, replicable "press" between the two computers. That might be a little hard to do.

Thanks for your information, too. Any noticeable differences between the two models?

5. Biggie Robs macrumors member

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

On MacRumors? Consensus? LOLOLOLOLOL :D:D:D:D

Mine's not any louder than the other keyboards I use. If I pretend to be Angry Typist and hammer the keys it makes noise corresponding to how hard I'm bashing my fingertips into the keys.

As far as I know there's no difference between the 2015/2016 keyboards. If you remain concerned be sure you can return your 2015 once you buy it and have a chance to try it out for a bit. (which is not a problem in the US when buying a refurb from Apple)

7. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your input. Some of the mail-order places do not allow returns without a hefty restocking fee. Your are right that Apple does allow returns without a fee.

8. Cobalt50 thread starter macrumors member

I went to a Best Buy to try the keyboard out. They had the 2016 models. The keys did clack quite a bit. They clacked more than the MBA right beside the MBs. But is it loud enough to be a problem? Maybe in a library. But I don't think it is a big deal.

9. lite426 macrumors regular

For me one of the biggest appeals to get the MacBook was no fan, silence. It's a shame about the keyboard

10. Mokum020 macrumors newbie

I guess it's what has been said on threads before. I find the keyboard loud if you type with normal pressure on the keys. But if you touch it more lightly, which is possible on this kind of butterfly keyboard, it's very silent and fast typing.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Let's remember also that "normal" is individual. It's clear from discussion that many have a normal that is a "light touch" just as some have a normal that is a "heavy" touch. As you wrote the above you suggest people have to adjust their typing to a lighter touch. That may be true for those who are used to really hitting keys hard, but not for others who don't.