2015 MBP 13" always pokey with PDFs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryanedw, Sep 2, 2015.

1. ryanedw macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I've been a 15" MBP user since they launched in 2006, but I recently got an early 2015 13" (3.1 GHz core i7) with 16 gigs of RAM and the default integrated Intel Iris Graphics 6100 graphics card, which I gather shares system memory. I don't work in graphic design; I'm an academic, but I like to have lots of article PDFs open, and I like to have lots of programs open. I'm coming off a 15" MBP mid-2010, whose dynamic switching started causes panics due to that infamous GPU problem.

I've been startled to see the system get all pokey with just a bunch of PDFs open. No crashes, but everything seems labored. Has anybody else noticed this kind of behavior? Is it the price one pays with the less robust graphics card? I may just tough it out, because I love having a smaller machine, but it's pretty irritating when all I'm doing is looking at image files.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

What software are you usinjg for opening those PDF's??? I find preview uses a lot of resources and works very hard, and I'd rather beat myself than use any adobe free software if it's avoidable. I reccomend you use skim for your PDF's it is small light and resource easy.

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

3. abta1 macrumors 6502

I have the same machine as the OP except with an i5 and 8Gb of RAM. With 8 pdfs (text and images), safari (multiple tabs), mail, ical and various chat clients open, I notice little to no impact on speed or smoothness.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Hey I have a 2013 and don't have any issues either but I always use skim because preview canes my battery. To be honest the thing with PDF's is some are terrible and some are great and it depends a hell of a lot on source and encoding software size of file and all sorts of other things as to how they perform.

5. ryanedw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone! I'll try out skim, that's a great idea.