2015 MBP 15Inch Drop Kicked by Hotel Maid

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetfreaky, Oct 16, 2017.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 65816

So I'm travelling Abroad and my 2015 MBP Retina (high end base model) - was drop kicked by the maid staff at the Mercure in Istanbul.

As a result the right side that attached the monitor to the screen is completely unhinged. Oddly, the unit still works great (amazing)...it just is unattached on the right side and the screen sags down.

My question is - rather than repairing it at Apple- what if I trade it in ? Will my trade in credit be the same? I figure I could just us ethe trade in credit on a new computer. Wheras if I repair it- i may get the same trade in value. Anyone know how it works?

Alterantively, assuming the cirucit board and sceen itself are fine, any idea for the repair cost?

2. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

If she drop kicked it claim off hotel!

If someone damaged my stuff I'd be kicking up stink!

3. robvas macrumors 68030

4. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

right
    that's what i was wondering. is my trade in credit the same if it's repaired. the mbp still functions great...yet is unhinged on the right.

5. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

For my iPhone with a damaged screen, the difference trade in credit for the fixed screen was more than the cost of the repair (no warranty or protection plan).

6. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

I've gotta admit: I'm more interested in hearing the backstory of this weird act of violence than I am people's guesses at the Apple service implications...

7. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

i'm fairly sure it was accidental. altho - the metal and build of the machine is so tough i have no idea how she managed to do it. like it would have had to have been thrown across the room- yet the screen is undamaged and there isn't a lot of other damge other than of course...the screen sags down on the right side becuase the hinge is completley unattached and there is some metal missing that used to cover up the hinge
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    interesting. so the increase in trade in value for fixing it was worth it. not looking forward to getting this repair cost estimate.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---

8. robvas macrumors 68030

Why not ask they place you are trading in at? How should we know?

9. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 65816

Well for starters im in a foreign country a little far from the apple store in san francisco. I'm hoping someone on the forums has experience with apple repair policy and trade in's.

make sense?

10. Mobster1983 macrumors 6502a

So I don't know the legal situation in Turkey, but have you talked to hotel management about the situation? I am sure they would work with you to make it right. No hotel wants to be known for damaging the property of its guests.

At the least they should pay for the repair or the difference in value. If they are good, they may pay for a new laptop.