2015 MBP Battery Wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acorntoy, Dec 23, 2016.

1. acorntoy macrumors 6502a

Hello, I've had my mid 2015 MBP for about a year, however at 298 charge cycles, my battery is at 85.6% of maximum capacity. This seems to be unusually high, as from what I understand the battery is supposed to be at least 80% at 1000 cycles (my friends early 2011 with 600+ cycles is still within 200-300mah of its original capacity) my question is, if I take this computer into Apple, will they not replace the battery before it hits 80%, or will they see its wearing unusually fast and just swap it? I do have the extended AppleCare.

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2014 Pro and similar battery health drain after only 160 charge cycles. I too have the AppleCare Plus, but the Genius Bar told me they will not intervene until battery health is below 80% regardless of number of charge cycles...

3. acorntoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Sorry that happened to you but I appreciate you saving me some time, I guess I'll just keep watch on it and take it in at 80% so I don't forget and have an awful battery after the warranty.

4. Patcell macrumors 6502

Definitely! I have another year and a half or so under AppleCare Plus, so the second it drops under 80% I'll be heading back to the Geniuses! The batteries are a big deal on these machines... Apparently the whole top case needs to be replaced because the battery is secured with some crazy adhesive.

5. ice29 macrumors newbie

ice29

Hah, just noticed similar wear on my 2015 13" rMBP... Bought April 2015, 260 cycles, 84.8% capacity ... I was pretty shocked when I noticed today (was checking istat since my fan was blowing 100% for no reason...), I have expected much less wear after this time...
    Unfortunately I missed the extension period for Apple care on this one, so even when it drops 80% I am apparently screwed (even though I still have warranty during the reseller here in Switzerland, until April 2017, so maybe I can talk to them about it...).