2015 MBP Dilemma - Help Needed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Martin317, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Martin317 macrumors newbie

Hello all!

I have been doing some research and wanted to take my situation to the forums and ask you guys.
    I am due for a new Macbook Pro and will be upgrading from my 13in Late 2011 MBP model. I have already eliminated the 2016 models because of how expensive they are and how everything is USB-C.

I have been looking online for a new model and have come across a few situations where i need help on.
    I am currently looking for a 2015 MBP Retina model that can help speed up my Video editing/rendering speeds (4k/HD). If i have 16GB of RAM, would it be the CPU or the Video Card that i should pay more close attention to?

It looks like the Broadwell models have Intel Iris 6100 and the Haswell models (15inch) have Intel Iris Pro (5100). Is the 15in a better model to have even though its processor is outdated?

Looking for some help and suggestions around this! Thank you!

FYI - I am trying to stay under $2000

Question - Do i go with a 15in Haswell (4th gen, i7) MBP or 13in Broadwell (5th gen, i7) MBP?

2. motime macrumors 6502

15 inch would be way better than the 13 inch because it is quad core. Hell, it even slightly out performs the latest 15 inch MacBook Pro's just released by some benchmarks. The dGPU will help the most with video editing so definitely opt for the 15 inch.

3. LarsGoes macrumors newbie

I have a MBP 13" (early 2011) too and i was going to upgrade this year "no matter what", but what Apple did this time is going too far. I am now just hoping for the 2015 rMBPs to go down in price...

4. Martin317 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply! I thought i7 was quad core?

5. motime macrumors 6502

All CPU's on the 15 inch are quad core and even the i7 on the 13 inch is only dual core. I don't think the 15 inch has an i5 variant but if it did have a quad core i5, it would still be a lot faster than dual core i7 in the 13.

6. Martin317 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is good to know, thank you! i think i am sold on the 15inch for now. I just wish the price was more reasonable :)

If i go with the quad core (15in) would it be worth to spend the extra $200 for 2.5ghz compared to 2.2?

7. motime macrumors 6502

Are you purchasing a refurbished model? I wouldn't recommend buying new. I don't think the extra 200 is worth it just for the CPU upgrade. However, if you can spare 400 or so and bump up to 2.5 and also AMD dGPU and 512 ssd then that will be worth it.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2016 ---
    http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook

The 15 inch models are currently out of stock since they seem to be selling fast, should be back up in a few days though, keep checking. You will save quite a bit of money buying refurbished and they are as good as new, sometimes even better. I just picked one up a few days ago, arriving in a couple of days.

Also FYI, the 2015 15 inch model with a dedicated GPU is only available at the refurbished store, they aren't selling those new anymore. If you are going to do video editing then you should opt for the dedicated model.

I think the price is 2100 USD for the refurbished 2015 15 inch, 2.5 ghz, 512 SSD with AMD graphics.

8. Martin317 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure yet. I have been looking at models on B&H, since everything under the Apple site has been sold out. I assume your talking about the AMD R9 M370X?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1151722-REG/apple_mjlt2ll_a_15_4_macbook_pro_notebook.html

9. motime macrumors 6502

Yep that is the one, if you can find a cheaper deal than the refurbished website then go for it. The Apple refurbished store should have it back in stock soon so I would keep an eye on that.

I think BH has a no tax option?

10. Chancha macrumors 6502

The 2.5GHz / 512 / dGPU refurb 2015 seems to be the most sought after model, as the ~2000 price simply looks like such great value when you compare it to the equivalent 2016 BTOs. In my local Apple online store this was sold out of stock literally the day after the 2016 announcement.

I also second on the choice of this model, quad core Haswell still performs reasonably well, and as you know even the top 2016 Skylake is still just benching around the same. the M370X maybe a bit weak for current standards, but for what you pay it is decent enough.