2015 MBP Does Not Wake

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IPadNParadise, Oct 3, 2017.

1. IPadNParadise macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

I have a 2015 MBP bought refurbished from Apple in Dec 2015. No issues until a few weeks ago and one day raised the lid and nothing happened. Waited a few minutes, turned it off and back on and it came on and worked fine. So at first this was just a sometimes thing, now however it is every time I try to use it (raising lid does not wake from sleep). I don’t use the MBP often, maybe once a week. I’m a heavy iPad Pro user. I have updated the MBP to High Sierra but the issue started before the update. I also have 1T storage with 944gb left. I’m an older user of technology but not a good fixer of issues. Any help with a possible fix would be greatly appreciated or is my MBP slowly dying?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

3. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "I don’t use the MBP often, maybe once a week. I’m a heavy iPad Pro user."

In that case, DON'T "put the MacBook to sleep".
    Just shut it down.

Boot it when you need to use it, then shut it back down when you're done.
    Battery should last longer that way, too.

4. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Thanks much, makes sense, I have always just closed the lid. I guess because I used to use it more often. I also took Samuel’s advice and reset SMC.

5. Nixir macrumors member

Had the same issue with my 13inch, resetting SMC/NVRM didn't help. Had to downgrade to El Capitan and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

6. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Yeah, resetting SMC/NVRAM didn’t help mine either. I am now shutting it down after using it, which evidently I should have been doing ever since I began using my iPad much more than the MBP. I am not interested in downgrading the software. Any more/other issues with it, it goes to the Apple Store. I put that off as long as I can since it is 100 miles away.

7. Nixir macrumors member

Even with clean installs, both High Sierra and Sierra (even at .6 iteration) have been super buggy with poor performance/battery life for me. While I don't think Apple goes out of their way to make my laptop obsolete, I certainly do believe they can't be bothered to optimize their OS for older hardware. I need my laptop for work (coding) so it seems like I'll be staying on 10.11 for as long as my work softwares support it.

8. IPadNParadise thread starter macrumors 6502

IPadNParadise

Sierra worked fine but there are many bugs I have found with both High Sierra and IOS 11 on my iPad. And you know, I don’t think of my 2015 MBP as old, but I guess Apple does.

9. Nixir macrumors member

Well, from what I've observed from my colleagues, and from user reports here - High Sierra is nowhere near ready for the latest laptops either.

I only install .5/.6 iterations on my personal machine(s) since I can't afford to risk my projects. Sierra 10.12.6 was the buggiest final osx update I've ever used. On top of the sleep wake issue, I had my cursor disappearing frequently in App Exposé - super annoying since I constantly need to check with many reference docs.

10. ceparker27 macrumors member

ceparker27

I've always had some issues with sleeping and random unresponsiveness on my rMBP as well, but it's never been this bad until I updated to High Sierra. I've gone from having issues 1-2 times a week to 5-6 times a week, almost nightly. I'm worried this is going to accelerate the destruction of my graphics card which I'd prefer to not have issues with.

11. Boardiesboi macrumors 65816

Boardiesboi

MacBook Pro 13 with tB (June 2017 model) on macOS High Sierra.

I am having similar issues with the MBP not turning on after lifting the lid. This happens after the lid of the laptop has been closed for a number of hours (eg. upon getting home from work).

The following do not wake the laptop up either:
    - Tapping space bar or any other keys
    - Tapping touch pad

It only turns on after I press the Touch ID button for 5 seconds or more.

When it turns on, it presents me with the log in screen where it lets me unlock with my Apple Watch, or with Touch ID (ie. it didn't restart).

Is my MBP faulty? Or is there something wrong with my settings?

12. insidious_kun macrumors newbie

insidious_kun

the same thing happens after high Sierra update :( I did some research and probably this behaviour occurs because of hibernation witch is almost the same thing as sleep mode but way deeper, in this mode you should press power button to wake your computer up. Sorry for my English

13. buran-energia macrumors regular

I think it's working as intended. When you close the lid, it goes to sleep. In this state, it draws battery to keep the memory alive, so it can instantly get back to life. I remember reading somewhere that after some time sleeping (an hour or two?), MacBook will hibernate while still being turned off - it will write the data from memory into disk, saving the battery life. That's why it won't be able to boot instantly after some time.
    I think you can configure this behavior, but I don't remember specifics.