2015 MBP expected release date?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenFromPerth23, Feb 17, 2015.

  1. BenFromPerth23 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    #1
    My MBP has been in and out of repair since January, and I think Apple is about to offer me a new one, which is great news.

    However, according to the MacRumors Buying guide, a 2015 model is about 2 months away, going by the average, and I THINK I can make it (Each repair has a 90 day warranty).

    So:
    1. Does anyone have any educated guess's on if this timeline is accurate?

    2. Is it worth waiting? I read that it may feature 800m series graphics. Is that a huge leap?

    3. And even if I wait, and get my new laptop right as they switch models, will Apple replace it with a 2015, or the older 2014 model anyway? (Anyone with experience of a "freebie" right around the changeover time?)

    Cheers,
    Ben
     
  2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

    BasicGreatGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    Location:
    In the middle of several books.
    #2
    If your current computer continues to have problems and Apple offers you a new computer, take the offer.

    I don't see trying to exploit the kindness of Apple as a good thing.
     
  3. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    #3
    I wouldn't call it Kindness. Yes, they've been good to me, but they told me that "if the computer needs another repair after 90 day's, you're on your own". This most recent repair lasted less than 24 hours.

    Nor do I consider it exploitation. It's currently in the repair shop (Will be there for 10 days). It's my business computer. If this thing blows up right before the new one is announced, then I don't see anything wrong with waiting another 10 days and asking for a 2015. I'd even pay a few hundred extra if given the option.

    I bought the computer in California, and this will be it's 4th repair. That means by LAW they have to do this. (Lemon Law).

    - 2 Logic boards/GPU's,
    - 1 screen.
    - 1 Trackpad.
    - 2 new fans
    - All new internal cables
    - And (I paid for this) an exploded power supply.

    Only the case, hard drive, and battery is original. It's a Lemon.

    So I really do appreciate their offer, and I do love Apple for helping me out, but following the law isn't "kindness".

    Thanks though...
     
  4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

    BasicGreatGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2012
    Location:
    In the middle of several books.
    #4
    If it is law that they have to provide a completely new computer after x amounts of repairs, then I believe they will follow the law.

    From what you have written thus far, it appears to me that you are looking to milk Apple as much as you can, so that you can possibly come out better than what you started with. That is not how the law is supposed to work.
     
  5. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    #5
    Apple could provide me with a 2011 replacement laptop (Not a Refurb, but one that was never sold), and I'd be VERY thankful.

    But their UNSTATED policy, which they don't always follow apparently, is to provide an equivalent current laptop.

    I'll already get a 2014, which is far superior to what I own. Not sure if they're just "nice guys", or the law dictates that they do that. Probably somewhere in the middle.

    So if there's 3 days between me getting a 2014, and a 2015, I'll wait and see, and be happy with either. Not milking. Not dragging it out for weeks... just savy enough to get the best result I can for a $4000 laptop that has been hell for me.

    Again though, thanks for your input.
     
  6. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    #6
    Incidentally, I just saw your laptop specs. Good thing you went with the 13". If you'd stepped it up to the 15" 2011, it'd be you making this post.

    http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/28/macbook-pro-2011-graphics-lawsuit/

    https://www.change.org/p/timothy-d-cook-replace-or-fix-all-2011-macbook-pro-with-graphics-failure

    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/...o-failures-continue-petition-lawsuit-3497935/
     
  7. webs1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #7
    From my recent experience, they will give you what is comparable from their stock. They're choice if it is a 2014 or 2015. The one thing I know they adhere to is hard drive size - they have to give you a machine that has at least the same size drive. I had a 2011 MBP 15" with 4GB Ram, 2.5 ghz i7 and 750GB HD. They offered me a 2014 rMBP with 8gb RAM, 2.5 GHZ i7, and 512GB SSD. I accepted their offer and when I went to pick it up, they informed me of the Hard Drive policy and handed me a 2014 rMBP with 16gb RAM, 2.8GHz i7, and 1TB SSD. Needless to say, I'm quite happy.

    In your situation, if it won't hurt you to wait it out, I don't think you're milking their kindness, you're just maximizing a benefit.
     
  8. BenFromPerth23 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    #8
    That's great news. I was willing to spend the $600 (Aussie $) to upgrade the hard drive, but I have the 750gb as well. And I think that the 2014 model with the nVidia GPU (Which is the equivalent to what I have now, and I wouldn't want to compromise on that) automatically has 16gb, so it sounds like that's the laptop I can expect too.

    And thanks for saying that about the Milking. :) I know I'm not milking it. If that new model comes out and the best they can do is a 2014, I'm not going to kick up a stink. But... if the time frame works out, and holding out for 2 weeks to report the next (it seems inevitable) failure gets me a 2015, then I have no moral objection to doing so. They provide the warranty... I'm just getting the most out of it. :)
     
  9. Woochoo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2014
    #9
    This timeline isn't accurate since it's just an average timeline of the last releases and Intel didn't exactly follow their plans with Broadwell this time.

    If Apple offers you a new one just take it, it will be great. If a Broadwell MBP comes up soon it will be almost the same as the actual Haswell, so there's no reason to change. And if it comes with Skylake, it will be the in the last months of the year (October maybe?), so don't expect to get a free jump to Skylake from your actual one "by the face".

    Damn, a whole new computer for free with even more hard drive storage in a SSD. I wouldn't say only "quite happy" hahah. Btw, did you have Apple Care or it was just your country laws? In Europe, by law, physical comerces have to give you 2 years full warranty (of failures, not of own mistakes) so Apple Care is quite useless.
     
  10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #10
    It isn't the law

    It isn't the law it is apple policy, presumably because all those repairs get more expensive than replacing them. They are perfectly entitled to just keep repairing it if they so wish.
     
  11. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #11
    If they offer you one, take it. Its going to be an improvement regardless if apple does eventually come out with an updated model.

    When Intel releases the Broadwell chipset - Probably this summer.

    The iGPU is purported to be much faster, the CPU, a minor increase increase in performance.

    If they offer you a replacement it will probably be the current model. I think you're over complicating matters. If you're lucky enough to have apple offer a replacement take it, regardless if they'll be coming out with a newer model in the near future (which they are not - we're still many months away).
     
  12. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2013
    #12
    15w and 28w Broadwell parts are available. (The quad core parts will come later, so we won't be seeing 15" refresh for a bit)

    The earliest you can expect Apple to update MBA (and maybe 13" rMBP, since it uses 28w CPU) is on 24th, the rumored date, so I'm waiting until then. I doubt anything will happen on the day but anything can happen.

    I'm hoping though, 13" rMBP with Iris 6100 is going to be awesome, my MBA is fine but since I started to focus on HTML/CSS/JS, 1440x900 isn't cutting it anymore.

    Also, a question: have Apple ever refreshed both 13" and 15" at the same time? I don't remember.
     
  13. roberthallin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2009
    Location:
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #13
    There is no such thing as "kindness" when it comes to multinational gigantic corporations like Apple.
     
  14. webs1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2008
    #14
    I had Apple Care - about 20 days left on it at the time :). I'm in the States, and as far as I'm aware, there aren't any laws that expand Apple's 1-year warranty.
     
  15. Natzoo macrumors 65816

    Natzoo

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2014
    Location:
    Not sure where i am
    #15
    Yes the late 2013 model.
     
  16. redheeler macrumors 603

    redheeler

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2014
    #16
    And the mid 2014...
     
  17. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2013
    #17
    Ah yes.

    So if they're going to refresh both models at the same time, then we won't see updated 13"/15" rMBP until Q2 at least, meh, I can only hope that they'll go ahead and update 13" rMBP soon.
     
  18. draughn101, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

    draughn101 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2011
    #18
    I have my new 13 rMBP sitting in its Amazon box as I try to decide whether to risk opening it.
     

Share This Page