2015 MBP portable SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by olindacat, Apr 26, 2019.

1. olindacat, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

olindacat macrumors regular

olindacat

Seeking advice on how best to utilize the ports on a 2015 15" MBP to get SSD speed for video editing. I'm still under Apple Care and assume (correct me if I am wrong) if I swap internal SSD I void?

So, my only other option would be fast SD cards, SSD connected to either the USB or the TB2 ports.

Any suggestions as to tactics/strategy here?

Thanks.

2. pshufd macrumors 6502a

If only Apple didn't stop making the X-Serve.

3. olindacat, Apr 26, 2019

olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

I see what you mean.... Also edited my original post as I was a mess. Thanks.

4. pshufd macrumors 6502a

I'd love a reasonable and reliable Thunderbolt 2 device. Thunderbolt 2 has been a disappointment. On the other hand, I really don't like the USB-C thing. There are a lot of high-end laptops that still have HDMI, USB-3 ports and sometimes I wish that Apple had included some legacy ports. Yes, even Thunderbolt 2.

5. olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

I'm combing through past threads reading posts. I do try before I make a new thread. A lot of back and forth advice saying the 2015 MBP SD card bus isn't as fast as USB 3.0, and that the TB is fastest. Then I see others saying go USB. Hence my reasoning for this thread: maybe a conclusive answer lies buried and so why not bring it out into the light?

Now, I realize this is a 4 year old machine, but I wasn't so broke I couldn't buy 2018. I actually did, but quickly returned it after all of the horror stories came to be known. I can't afford problems.

Anyway: don't expect an SD card to run as fast as USB, or USB to be as fast as TB2. So, I suppose I should be hunting for a TB2 SSD, or do I drop another $50 on yet another adaptor? (I hate that idea.)
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    Already own an OWC bay from maybe 10-12 years ago. Hate it.
    USB is suggested because it is cheap, compared to TB. I own a TB LaCie rugged already. Wonder if I can tear it down and put in an SSD (as a HDD now)....

6. pshufd macrumors 6502a

SD read/write is around 95 mb - doesn't really matter what the bus speed is if the device speed is so slow.

7. olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

I little further research unveiled one comment in a Q&A section of the Transcend TB SSD product page on Amazon: "The speed of the very fastest SSDs can't even take advantage of Thunderbolt 2. The throughput rate is simply so high in even Thunderbolt 1 that nothing but extremely expensive raided SSDs could reach the Thunderbolt limit."

8. pshufd macrumors 6502a

If you want the fastest speeds, go with a RAMDisk.

9. olindacat, Apr 26, 2019

olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

I was trying to say that but probably didn't articulate myself very well. One interesting thing is I was able to make a YouTube video 1080p in iMove using my cheap Costco SD card as my external, so even though it is limited, it at least works as an additional option, which I didn't think possible.
    One more for the archives: a tester wrote (of the Transcend TB2 portable SSD): "I suspect that speed test results will vary with different hardware configs. I have a 1TB Transcend Thunderbolt connected to my iMac (Late 2015 core i7 SSD). Using BlackMagic Disk Speed Test my Read Speed is about 380 MB/s and Write Speed is about 300 MB/s."
    I'm not editing 4K, just a cheesy bunch of YT videos. Renders for 30, maybe 60 minute shows is where I worry. Read about the RAMdisk. Looking for something maybe a little more stable? Is that right? Not so hip to what they re, actually. A kind of virtual disk methinks. Not what I'm after as I want to jump between the MBP and iMac and eventually migrate to newer machines when they figure out fixes for everything, e.g., keyboards, etc.

10. olindacat thread starter macrumors regular

olindacat

Thx for ringing in. I have Apple Care. If I replace the SSD doesn't that void my AC? I'm making the assumption they will know if I have torn the thing open to replace the SSD, isn't that right?