2015 MBP refurb - 10.10 or 10.11?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skiltrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Just ordered a 2015 MBP from the Apple Refurb Store. Will it most likely come with Yosemite or El Capitan out of the box, or is it a total toss up?

I know I can downgrade if I find I need 10.10 but I'm still curious about what it might be loaded with from the warehouse.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Impossible to say.

3. treekram, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

treekram macrumors 6502a

I bought a 2012 MBP non-Retina Apple refurb in December. It was manufactured in November. It had El Capitan - I think it was 10.11[.0]. So I would guess El Capitan. There are websites that allow you to find out when the MBP was manufactured based on the serial #. For me, it was good to know that the computer was built in November because that followed the typical scenario of somebody buying it, finding it didn't meet their needs and returning it promptly. If the refurb had Yosemite, I would wonder why.

4. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I just received a new 13" MacBook Air we purchased for a coworker. I was surprised to see it had Yosemite installed on it. Again, a new unit from the Apple Store. Not a refurb.

Again, not that any of this matters much, it's just curiosity. Honestly though on my own MBP, for the audio software I'm running I'd rather use Yosemite, so it'll be nice if I can get going right out of the box.

5. Todor macrumors newbie

Todor

True!

6. treekram macrumors 6502a

If you got a new Mac recently with Yosemite, my guess is that it got "stuck" somewhere for a period of time. If you're curious, you can check using the serial number to see when it was manufactured. The site I used was:

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

El Capitan was released to manufacturing on Sept. 30, 2015. I would expect the MBA was manufactured before then.

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah. Definitely strange.

Received a new Air yesterday, had Yosemite.

Received my refurb MBP today, had El Capitan!

Really is no way to predict these things!